It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: A serious question for city fathers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:02 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

WTF!!?? Where are these millions coming from, not just for a new floor for the ice rink, but a bigger ice rink with expanded facilities? Not one bid that is not in the millions!? According to the Era; "Work at the rink is expected to begin
next month, and is slated to include enlarging
and replacing the ice rink surface,
expanding the building which houses
the rink, and installing additions to skate
rental, concessions and the locker room."
As our already abbreviated tax base is slashed even farther by city council, and pork laden projects are rolled out, seemingly one after another, even as our infrastucture crumbles before our eyes. Are we trying to bankrupt the city and its taxpayers? We have numerous bridges that wont even hold a fire truck, half the town is on welfare...What the hell happened to common sense? A new ice rink for who?

Post subject: Re: A serious question for city fathers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:16 am 
Novice
Novice

I wondered the same thing when I read the story. If there is a fairy godmother funding this why wasn't it mentioned someplace? If there isn't, how does this just slide through council without anyone asking how to pay for it? I'm all for a nice skating rink, but is almost $2 million really available to the city, and is a skating rink the best place to use it?

I remember fondly the hours spent skating when the tennis courts in Hanley Park were flooded every winter. That was a low cost venue. One man to maintain it with several of the regulars helping to shovel it if it snowed during skating hours. And mother nature provided the ice with no cost for electricity. Maybe Bradford should go back to that if the alternative costs $2 million.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:06 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Borntorun wrote;

"I remember fondly the hours spent skating when the tennis courts in Hanley Park were flooded every winter. That was a low cost venue." Yes, something like that would be considered common sense.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:56 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

I should be a "no brainier". But so is our governmental bodies!

It should be like: America and Bradford fell on hard times, the people are already over taxed, the tax base locally is shrinking, we have more important needs, CLOSE THE DAM RINK!

Tear the roof and walls off and make it a seasonal only, GOD cooled, skating rink. Let God cool the ice, and let the people save all those millions!

And outdoor ice skating rink! Just like the ones all our grandparents skated on for all their years!

How to better spend the 2 mill? Give ten grand each to 200 people in town to start small businesses!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:54 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Stony said:
Quote:
I should be a "no brainier".

I already thought you were.

You just angry because they won't let you ice fish there!

But, otherwise, I agree with you completely! This is the most foolish thing I have heard about the CIty since I left. Actually, the new bridge was foolish. This is just stupid. A newer, larger building will only mean increased utility and maintenance costs also. Who is pushing this proposal and why?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:42 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

To play the devil's advocate, perhaps the >new!< >improved!< ice rink will be a tourism draw. It will be able to accommodate hockey leagues from all over. The players and their families will flock to Bradford to watch the action, plus dine in our restaurants and shop in our stores. It might be a winning proposal for our town!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:11 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

At a couple million, that should only take say... 100 years or so for it to pay for itself.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:16 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Phantom the actual percentage of the population that might use or frequent an ice skating rink is quite small. The city needs a lot more stuff that that 2 Million dollars could buy.

In a perfect world, in a near perfect town, that was flourishing, an ice rink might be a justified luxury.

But BRADFORD, right now, with all our problems?

A new and improved ice skating rink SERIOUSLY? WTF?

CLOSE THE DAM THING, DON'T FIX IT!

Let the relatively few people in town who HAS to skate or play hockey drive over the hill to Olean!

Phantom, "ice skating rink tourism"? Really?

The bridge to nowhere, or sport fishing the Tuna may attract more tourists! Seriously!

Besides, nobody in Bradford is REALLY interested in attracting tourists to town.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:22 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

I, and others can remember ice skating on what was basically a big sand box type area flooded with water in the winter, open to the air, that did not need to be cooled, heated, maintained or even closed in.

*Word on the street* is that nearly everybody in town has their balls frosted over this stupid "luxury" that the tax payers can ill afford.

Except for a "select few" who think the ice rink is a good idea, many people can rattle off a long list of more important things that that money can be better spent on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:36 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

citizen wrote:
At a couple million, that should only take say... 100 years or so for it to pay for itself.

Citizen, not to argue with you, but the skating rink will NEVER pay for itself.

It's like a bureaucracy. It has to keep growing bigger and bigger!

Witness how much it's grown since it was an outside flooded area in the winter time.

They just keep needing it to be bigger and bigger and cost more and more to maintain. Next they will need more grooming equipment, and more workers ..... If it keeps growing, it will keep costing the taxpayers.

It will never generate enough money to pay for the structural costs, or even the staffing and the maintenance.

It's a luxury for the elitists among us, that ALL the taxpayers have to share the burden for.

Funny to think that just a few years ago, this same city, Bradford, was a distressed city on the verge of Bankruptcy!

Imagine, we have bridges that are crumbling under the weight of two cars, but we have the means to build a two million dollar ice skating rink!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:21 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

NEWS FLASH, this just in. Main street to be paved with gold. In a related news story, 4 bridges crumble to dust.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:45 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I think you are missing one money saving feature Stony, The DPW boys can put a plow and spreader on the 'Zamboni' when all of their trucks turn to dust, along with those bridges. (I heard somewhere we bought a new one of those as well, or were preparing to.)