It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Moving to Bradford
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:04 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

LOL! @ Citizen!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:53 am 
Novice
Novice

What are you kooks talking about snookie for? Lady asked a question and she gets amateur hour jokes about NJ?

Listen, if you have the money to be a snowbird and live outside of town then bradford can be pretty nice. Bradford pa recently came in second place for the worst weather in America in a poll conducted by the weather channel. Lost to Fargo, ND. Albeit, the past two winters have been mild in terms of snow. Getting somebody to shovel may be a problem unless you live on the bridge to nowhere, a recently built high cost walking bridge.

This leads me to the local politics of the area. Once again if you have money you're halfway there. Old money runs the town. If you kiss the right asses, and do enough dirt for the right people you can thrive, if not you will most likely languish. One reason the cost of living is so low is due to the fact that I'd venture to guess that 75% of the community lives under the poverty line. Let that sink in a moment.

The health care at BRMC is pretty lack luster. You mentioned you're 60. They have insufficient equipment and are understaffed.

Another member mentioned University of Pittsburgh at Bradford (UPB) and there are learned, decent people that are members of the community. Tim Zankis (sp), Dave soriano, Greg Page to name a few. Then you have Livingston Alexander in his castle surrounded by houses that probably are worth a tenth of the president's castle. Its a monument to the distribution of wealth in the area. The upper administrations quid pro quo relationship with the local old money does no favors for a majority of the community.

My knowledge of NJ is limited. I know stone harbor and wild wood are nice in July/August. But, if none of the things I've listed bothers you and you feel up to the task of living in bradford then welcome!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:12 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Moving to Bradford from Anywhere MORE Urban, Expensive, Intellectually/Culturally Aware, etc. in your 60's Could be Quite a SHOCK! But There ARE Many "Transplants" Who Absolutely LOVE Living in the "COOL Town with a Very WARM Heart"! Many Americans, after 9/11, were looking to "Simplify Their Lives" and "Get Back to Small Town REAL AMERICA". Bradford Has "Something Special" that not even many Bradfordians can understand or appreciate; so if you do chose to live here among all of us, We WELCOME You!
P.S. Retirees Just LOVE Bradford! Just ASK Them... :D
P.P.S. Unless COLD & SNOW Just Drives You MAD! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:37 am 

I have to thank all of you for your feed back about moving to Bradford. Like any thing else it has its good, bad and ugly. Life is a trade off so we have to sit down and decide what we are trading for what. We will come for another visit, for a few days, and look around again before we decide on the move. Thanks again and if there are other things we should know about Bradford please feel free to let us know. Any input is greatly appreciated.

And for Snookie fans, Jersey is more than what you see on that program. In fact Snookie and friends are actually from Staten Island NY and only come to the Jersey shore in the summer. Look around as there are Snookies all over.

Thanks again. I will keep watching this forum for any
other info about Bradford. The good, bad and ugly. If we do move to Bradford I will have a party and invite all of you over for helping us out.

Thanks, Nanrose

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:04 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Giant632 wrote:
What are you kooks talking about snookie for? Lady asked a question and she gets amateur hour jokes about NJ?

Listen, if you have the money to be a snowbird and live outside of town then bradford can be pretty nice.

This leads me to the local politics of the area. Once again if you have money you're halfway there. Old money runs the town. If you kiss the right asses, and do enough dirt for the right people you can thrive, if not you will most likely languish. 75% of the community lives under the poverty line. Let that sink in a moment.

The health care at BRMC is pretty lack luster. You mentioned you're 60. They have insufficient equipment and are understaffed.

Another member mentioned University of Pittsburgh at Bradford (UPB) and there are learned, decent people that are members of the community. Tim Zankis (sp), Dave soriano, Greg Page to name a few.

Never heard of Tim Zankis, Dave Soriano, or Greg Page. If they are learned and decent, good for them. I love living in the outskirts of Bradford, and that's without knowing these 3 paragons of wisdom!
As for BRMC, it has its good points.....mostly for flying ppl out to Pittsburgh or Erie for "better" care, although Pittsburgh was a nightmare for me twice and I'd have rather stayed in BRMC.
75% under the poverty level seems high, but on a warm spring day, it will seem low! If you like a daily parade of tattooed and pierced young girls pushing multiple strollers with their sperm donors tagging along smoking ciggies and swillin Mountain Dew, then consider it free entertainment. (well, not really free, we pay out the nose for these ppl to procreate here!)
As for our local leaders, they couldn't lead us out of a wet paper bag, even if it was to get to our new STATE-OF-THE-ART walking bridge.
On the bright side, there is a fund raiser for one cause or another, at least once a month, and it always includes all the draft beer you can drink! And the Festivals here a start in May with the "Stinkfest", (yes, the real name!), and end with the "Italian fest".....both excuses for more beer drinking. Plus some Fall and Garlic festivals in nearby towns. Did I mention the multitude of Bars? Yep, got those too!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

Nanrose, If I were you I would not move to Bradford. Just read some of the old post on this web site. I use to live in Bradford. From what I read and old friends tell me it is now the welfare capital of the state. Bradford used to be a nice town years ago. Good luck?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:38 pm 
Novice
Novice

Nanrose, you must also know are current mayor tom reil attempted to open an adult club downtown. Luckily the city government stopped him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:39 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Punxsutawny has Phil, In Bradford you can tell spring is right around the corner when the first warm day, all the wellies and their latest spawn pour out of thier section 8 hovels to walk down the streets, (they wont use sidewalks Nan, and no one makes them.) BTW, great post Shadow!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:23 am 
Novice
Novice

Amazing! You have someone who wants to move to Bradford and almost everyone on BT tells her to stay away. If it's so bad, why haven't all you complainers left? You obviously have no hope anything will ever change except for the worse. Heaven forbid someone might move to town who isn't on welfare or tattooed or some other undesirable category for you to complain about.

I hope the lady spends some time in Bradford and makes her own judgement. Never saw a town that didn't have some kind of drawback. But I've seen few towns in more lovely locations than Bradford, although I admit sometimes the weather really builds character. I hope the lady decides to make the move.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:40 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

BTR, if you were contemplating a major life change, (and they do get harder the older you get), would you want things spun then candycoated, or the truth..? Admitting you have a problem is the first step in fixing it. Maybe if "the powers that be" quit denying Bradfords reality, we could move towards fixing it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:17 am 

I heard all the bad about Bradford, and only a few good things. If it is so bad way don't you all leave or fight for what you want. Life is a trade off. If your streets are that bad with the undesirables fight to clean it up. We did here. We included those people in the fight and they helped clean things up for us. Yes some things you will not get even if you fight but it is worth the battle to say you tried. I have not heard any one say they have tried to clean up this beautiful part of the land. Oh, maybe you lost sight of the beauty of Bradford and it will take an outsider to show you that. I am sorry if I am over stepping my bounds but no one has told me the good of Bradford. I am only moving, and that is a maybe, because taxes here are very high and will go higher after superstorm Sandy. Yes we have fought for lower taxes which we did get but not enough. We pay double for everything we need here from where you stand in Bradford. Plus we are very crowed here. However, if we do not find that small town we like we will stay and fight for other things.
I am sorry if this offends some but gee guys, there has to be some good in Bradford, otherwise fight to make it that way. Yes I want to know the good, bad and ugly but so far it seems only the bad has come out. Nanrose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Many 'regulars' on here have been fighting to improve and clean up Bradford, some of us for many many years Nan, in fact these same regulars are also some of the most outspoken about the areas problems precisely because they do care about Bradford. A major problem here is Apathy (yes with a capital A), there are people who care, just not enough to offset the large welfare population, and on the other side of the coin, are the special interests who control the areas financial resources, and where they end up. (or more importantly, where they dont...)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next