It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Another Elvis In Town?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:12 pm 
Novice
Novice

You must not remember Liberty Bank in Buffalo. Statue of Liberty was their symbol and they had two statues on top of the building. I first saw it in the 50's. Don't recall any complaints back then, and there were a lot of WW II veterans who had fought for what that statue symbolized.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:08 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

BTR, now you are mixing apples and oranges.

That bank had an exact replica of the Statue of Liberty on it. Except for the size of course. I have a photo of that right behind me as I'm typing.

These are people dressing up as the Statue of Liberty and some acting like clowns.

And seriously, a "Statue of Liberty" that is overweight or with facial hair is just plain disrespectful no matter how patriotic you are or not.

It's one thing to use the image out of respect. It's another to make a joke out of it.

And on their sign, they are encouraging people to honk their horns ..... something I believe is illegal also!

Attachment:
liberty.jpg
liberty.jpg [ 116.13 KiB | Viewed 1123 times ]

They look just like the Statue of Liberty!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:52 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Attachment:
donthonk.jpg
donthonk.jpg [ 135.38 KiB | Viewed 1116 times ]

Liberty Tax, in their effort to create excitement for their tax service, hires people to stand at a very busy intersection in Bradford, probably the busiest, and encourages citizens to break the law!

Wonder how the near-by court likes all the un-needed and illegal noise pollution?

And also consider that when there are two of them there jumping up and down, dancing around, and waving signs, that it MAY be a distraction that may cause an accident!

Perhaps the police should ask them to take their act somewhere else?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:19 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Stony wrote:
It's one thing to use the image out of respect. It's another to make a joke out of it.

Yeah, I agree. I have no problem if a company wants to use the image of the Statue of Liberty out of respect. Matter of fact, I have no problem with it's image in the Liberty Tax logo. It's respectful.

Stony wrote:
These are people dressing up as the Statue of Liberty and some acting like clowns.

Their job is to dance around like a clown and wave at people to get their attention.

This guy probably earned a bonus from the company.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:58 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

BornToRun wrote:
and there were a lot of WW II veterans who had fought for what that statue symbolized.

I wonder how they feel now that the symbol they fought for is relegated to a joke every tax season, portrayed as a bearded crack-ho hopping around on the street corner trying to wave down her next trick. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:21 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I always smile and wave when I see one of these "Liberty" folks. What a hard way to make a buck! But times are tough and people are desperate, and there but for the grace of God go I.

As for the company itself-- I wouldn't go there if it was the last tax prep place on earth. Though the employees are there of their own free will, the position itself is degrading, and I think less of the company for coming up with this crap and considering it good marketing.

(Of course we're all talking about it now, aren't we?)