It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Ice Fishing the Marilla Reservoir
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:15 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Stony wrote:
Guitar wrote:
I’ve just got off the phone from a friend living in Bradford. He said that since early this morning the snow has been nearly waist high and is still falling.
The temperature is dropping way below zero and the north wind is increasing to near gale force. His wife has done nothing but look through the kitchen window and just stare. He says that if it gets much worse, he may have to let her in.

She is just trying to guilt him in to letting her into the house!

Call him back and tell him not to let her in until the driveway and sidewalks are shoveled and salted, she fetches the mail and the newspaper, and she starts his car so it's warm when he leaves for work! She can warm up by cleaning the whole house, doing the laundry and dishes, and cooking dinner!

Don't you mean ....start the car until SHE leaves for work? And I can't help but feel sorry for that poor fish laying on the ice, dying.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:15 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Stony wrote:
Guitar wrote:
I’ve just got off the phone from a friend living in Bradford. He said that since early this morning the snow has been nearly waist high and is still falling.
The temperature is dropping way below zero and the north wind is increasing to near gale force. His wife has done nothing but look through the kitchen window and just stare. He says that if it gets much worse, he may have to let her in.

She is just trying to guilt him in to letting her into the house!

Call him back and tell him not to let her in until the driveway and sidewalks are shoveled and salted, she fetches the mail and the newspaper, and she starts his car so it's warm when he leaves for work! She can warm up by cleaning the whole house, doing the laundry and dishes, and cooking dinner!

Wait, Wasn't She Also Supposed To Walk The Dog & Take Out The Garbage!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:24 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Shadow wrote:
And I can't help but feel sorry for that poor fish laying on the ice, dying.

Shadow, I always eat what I kill and I make sure the fish suffer as little as possible. My girlfriend is also an animal rights person and she too was upset about it. But I told her think of it more as a meal we are preparing, rather than a needless kill. We did eat that trout just a few hours after catching it.

I am mostly a vegetarian .... just not a strict one.

I dabble at being a vegan from time to time.

Every time a human eats, something must be killed. If it isn't a stocked trout it's some poor defenseless plant or vegetable that can't get away to save it's own life! At least the trout had more of a chance than a poor head of Broccoli!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:34 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Quote:
At least the trout had more of a chance than a poor head of Broccoli!

I look at it from the standpoint of it's a lot more fun to catch a trout (and throw it back to maybe catch again someday) than to harvest a head of broccoli.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:16 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

An excellent example of the sissification of our culture. Plants and animals have no "rights." They are here for our responsible use.....food, companionship, furniture, entertainment, shelter, etc. Vegetarian is an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter." God gave us the plants to eat in Genesis 1:30. He later gave us the animals to eat in Genesis 9:3. You may eat what you wish in good conscience. Only humans have rights, that is, a power or privilege to which one is entitled. Those emotionally confused souls who seek to extend human rights to animals would better serve mankind by seeing to it that unborn humans are not deprived of their rights.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:36 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

tigereye wrote:
An excellent example of the sissification of our culture. Plants and animals have no "rights." They are here for our responsible use.....food, companionship, furniture, entertainment, shelter, etc. Vegetarian is an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter." God gave us the plants to eat in Genesis 1:30. He later gave us the animals to eat in Genesis 9:3. You may eat what you wish in good conscience. Only humans have rights, that is, a power or privilege to which one is entitled. Those emotionally confused souls who seek to extend human rights to animals would better serve mankind by seeing to it that unborn humans are not deprived of their rights.

Our 'rights' disappear when faced with a more capable predator. When a grizzly eats some schmoo out for a hike, instead of killing the grizzly we should realize that in the food chain, we are not the strongest link, and let the grizzly live.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:43 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

That thinking only works if you think that man is merely another animal, nothing better. I'm not about to sign on to that demotion. We are given dominion over the creation....including the animals. My God-given intelligence protects me from animal attack.....that and my Glock. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:29 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

We as humans are here on Earth to be the guardians of all "Lower" forms of life.
As for Stony's fish, I'm glad it didn't suffer overmuch. At least he gets it!
A catch and release fish that is handled by humans loses a protective coating. You are not doing them any favors with the "catch and release" game. They are not having fun.
Jesus did not preach factory farming.
Jesus was compassionate to all living things.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:33 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

tigereye wrote:
An excellent example of the sissification of our culture. Those emotionally confused souls who seek to extend human rights to animals would better serve mankind by seeing to it that unborn humans are not deprived of their rights.

No. an excellent example of self gratification in our culture, without a thought to those who suffer. (humans and animals alike... ..think the slaughterhouse workers are legal citizens with rights? think again!)
And WHO said that animal rights activist=pro abortion?! Not in my case, BABY!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:11 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Shadow wrote:
Jesus was compassionate to all living things.

.....and He ate the fish he caught and shared fish with thousands of others...to eat! "Sport" fishing is a selfish and useless activity. Just like trophy hunting. If you're not going to eat it or eliminate a predator, don't kill it. That's not animal rights.....it's human stewardship.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:58 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Tiger and Shadow ..... From ice fishing in the Marilla Reservoir to Jesus and abortion really?

I won't bother mentioning that Jesus is likely a fictitious character concocted thousands of years ago by people with an intelligence level way below our modern day retards ..... BUT if you are going to throw around bible quotes don't forget that we must stone our children to death if they tell us a little white lie.

But as far as human rights verses animal rights, Shadow, you might get this, but I doubt tiger will .....

We as humans have a much higher level of consciousness than "we" did when the bible was written. Back then we had no idea how much pain animals felt or how developed their brains were. And back then we did rely on animals for food, milk, work, and clothing, among other uses. Today we can exist without torturing animals. We don't have to skin a goat for clothing.

This is an entirely different time with different circumstances. The "bible" needs to be re-written and updated. As it is now, it's just a useless relic of the past. Some of you just haven't realized it yet.

We need a new set of modern morals, not try to live by the rules of the distant past.

Shadow and Guitar, I agree with Shadow that fishing just for the pleasure of dragging a fish ashore just to catch one, is just plain mean! That is just torturing fish for the pleasure of catching one.

I eat what I catch when I can, BUT sometimes in the interest of following the laws of the state one might catch a fish that he or she may have to release. We handle the fish in the water and remove the hook as gently as we can as to not hurt the fish. But when I and my friends fish, we do so with the intentions to keep and eat what we catch. It's more "fishing for survival" VS "sport fishing".

I would not fish if I didn't eat what I catch.

Guitars statement: "it's a lot more fun to catch a trout (and throw it back to maybe catch again someday)" sounds to an animal rights person like: "I throw them back so I can torture them more than once"! LOL!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:07 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Quote:
Guitars statement: "it's a lot more fun to catch a trout (and throw it back to maybe catch again someday)" sounds to an animal rights person like: "I throw them back so I can torture them more than once"!

I now see the error of my ways! I will not "torture" fish more than once. I will now throw them up on the bank. TIC