It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: A letter to the editor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:39 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

What would YOU say is the difference between the average 2nd amendment supporter and the gun nut, and why Stony? The interstate range was actually closed because some selfish idiots kept leaving their trash up there.... Same people you see on main street all summer long actually. I know that the shack had a shotgun hole and 1 or 2 rifle holes through it. Sounds more like moronic hick than "gun nut". you'd think someone with the title "gun nut" would have blasted it FPSRussia style!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:35 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Stony wrote:
There is no simple answer to gun violence in this country, but doing nothing is not the answer.

Doing something for the sake of doing something in order to get re-elected is worse than doing nothing though. Chicago - home to some of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation is a good example of banning guns only to watch as crime with guns skyrockets. D.C.'s old ban is another example.

Ban, ban, ban is all we hear from the liberal side; Don't ban, don't ban, don't ban is all we hear from the conservative side. Wait, that last one is wrong. Only the conservative side seems willing to openly and frankly discuss the causes of gun violence. Too bad for them that doing so makes them racist according to the liberals.

Who's kids go to a school with more than one armed guard?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:23 am 
Novice
Novice

Since you brought up Chicago again, and I live nearby, I have to respond. Yes, they have restrictive city gun laws. Yes, they have a horribly high murder rate.

Many of those guns were bought legally but not in the city. Some were bought by law-abiding citizens with no criminal intent and later stolen. More were originally sold somewhere else in the country and then brought to Chicago to be sold to the gangs. So it seems clear that without some kind of national gun law just letting each city, county or state make it's own law won't work.

Second, the current NRA response to the many shooting deaths in Chicago seems to be "let's have more guns" or "if everyone has a gun we'll all be safer". The problem with that argument is that in the neighborhoods where these shooting mostly occur everyone does have a gun. And they use them without thought for the collateral damage to innocent children or adults.

Chicago's shooting death statistics do not reflect the safety of the city as a whole. Most of the city is as safe as any American city and largely gun free. I have no fear walking in downtown Chicago day or night. I have no fear walking in many of the neighborhoods. But there are places I wouldn't even drive at noon on a sunny day.

The deaths are mostly in certain areas controlled by criminal gangs (used to be called youth gangs but they are run by adults and have been for decades). They mostly shoot their own but they don't shoot very straight and innocent people get shot too.

It's a terrible situation right now. Keeping more guns out of the area would help. Keeping high capacity semi-automatics out would help. But right now having the manpower to enforce the law is the most important thing and CPD hasn't been able to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:15 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Here it is in a nutshell (heavy on the NUT!).

The official position of the NRA and other gun nuts:

"Guns all around! Guns for everyone! Then we will have less shootings"! "If we ALL have guns, nobody will shoot anybody"!

Yea, that sound reasonable!

Here's the proof: Obama just sold more guns to more people in this country than ever before. If the gun nuts are right, we should experience a drastic and immediate drop in violent crimes. Especially shootings! Shootings should instantly become a thing of the past ........ IF they are right!

Let the experiment begin!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:42 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Any consideration of the 'NRA response' is false. The majority of the members of the NRA are not in agreement with the response the NRA posted. As a member I will enlighten you. I am against arming teachers in schoools, I'm against knee-jerk reactions without thought or study, I'm for bans on high capacity magazines, I'm against re-instating the so called ban on 'assault rifles' (you do realize the the previous ban was based on the looks of the weapon, not the actual operation). That is just a touch of my beliefs on this issue.

Now on to the lies.

Gun crimes committed in the city of Chicago are, by the cities own statistics, overwhelmingly committed with guns that were stolen from both in the city and from outside the city. If they weren't stolen, they were bought illegally, both in the city and outside the city. More restrictions on guns, other than an outright ban on ALL guns will not stop the gun crime in Chicago.

The lie of police protection. The courts have ruled multiple times that the job of the police is NOT to protect the citizens of this country. The police are to protect society. The courts have further ruled that it is the job of the individual citizens to protect themselves.

The NRA has never stated that everyone should have a gun. However, statistics and studies have shown that legally armed citizens prevent more crime than cops do, prevent more mass shootings than cops do and have less accidental shootings than cops do. Sure everyone in the Chicago neighborhood where crime is very high is armed - how many of them legally? So by adding more gun ownership restrictions who then are you restricting from having a gun? Certainly not the criminals that you speak of. All Chicago has done is stopped law-abiding citizens from protecting themselves, or even just owning a firearm to look at or collect. It did nothing to slow the crime. It is idiocy to even think more laws will help.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:14 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

What would have happened to this women and her children had she not owned a gun? (or not been allowed to own one?) http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162- ... olice-say/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:34 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I think if high cap mags are banned for civilians then they are to be banned for gov as well... Good for the goose good for the gander.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Oh yeah, gun bans work eh? Let's look at England. They banned all guns and gun crimes went down. Yay, but now they are the capital for all violent crimes in the entire EU. Rapes, homicides, etc., all skyrocketed above any other country in Europe. Chicago, even if gun crimes were to go down, the crime rate is going up and up.

Stony, I really hope that you are smarter than the logic displayed with your "now that a bunch of guns were sold gun crimes should just disappear". The whole line of rhetoric that you and the liberal media are spouting "the NRA wants everyone to have a gun" is a lie and you should feel foolish for falling for it. Their job is to make the uninformed scared to attain higher ratings, apparently it worked.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:06 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:28 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

BornToRun wrote:
Since you brought up Chicago again, and I live nearby, I have to respond. Yes, they have restrictive city gun laws. Yes, they have a horribly high murder rate.

Many of those guns were bought legally but not in the city. Some were bought by law-abiding citizens with no criminal intent and later stolen. More were originally sold somewhere else in the country and then brought to Chicago to be sold to the gangs. So it seems clear that without some kind of national gun law just letting each city, county or state make it's own law won't work.

If that's the case then how come the violence isn't just as high in the areas that they are getting the guns legally to import them. Your inference that the presence of guns being the reason for the violence would equate to that, wouldn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:12 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Flashback wrote:
Any consideration of the 'NRA response' is false. The majority of the members of the NRA are not in agreement with the response the NRA posted.

Well, Flash, if you are a member of the NRA you are financing their propaganda. You either agree with everything they say or you should quit! Otherwise you are facilitating their stance on issues.

I don't give money to groups I support. I even quit groups that did/said stuff I disagreed with.

You "bought into" their message when you joined and paid dues.

The NRA is a bunch of crazies, bullies, and Hippocrates!
They are not helping the cause of lawful, responsible gun owners. The NRA certainly does not speak for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:06 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Stony wrote:
Flashback wrote:
Any consideration of the 'NRA response' is false. The majority of the members of the NRA are not in agreement with the response the NRA posted.

Well, Flash, if you are a member of the NRA you are financing their propaganda. You either agree with everything they say or you should quit! Otherwise you are facilitating their stance on issues.

I don't give money to groups I support. I even quit groups that did/said stuff I disagreed with.

You "bought into" their message when you joined and paid dues.

The NRA is a bunch of crazies, bullies, and Hippocrates!
They are not helping the cause of lawful, responsible gun owners. The NRA certainly does not speak for me.

I didn't/don't pay anything, life membership was a gift.

The NRA is not a bunch of crazies, bullies and hippocrites. At times the leadership is. Always the NRA has provided a firm stance against government control of firearms, firearms safety training, hunting safety, wildlife support, environmental actions, etc.

You see stony, the NRA does more each year to support causes dear to your own heart than you yourself do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next