It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Just Burns My AZZ!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:38 pm 
Novice
Novice

I heard on the scanner last night that Mercy Flight was coming in and had a call-out of a Volunteer Fire Department to get the site ready. All the while, the Professional (meaning PAID) City Firefighters sit in their nice warm firehouses and earning a wage with super duper benefits. The Volunteer Fire Department members have to leave their own homes in their personal vehicles to go to their respective fire stations to take care of this situation. I know a response will be because they are landing at the mall in the township but the City boundary is a 100 yards away! and I say again "It Just Burns My AZZ! :evil:

Post subject: Re: Just Burns My AZZ!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:48 pm 
Novice
Novice

You must live in Foster Township. Most city taxpayers prefer that Foster Township pay for the services they currently get from the city for free. I doubt very few would promote giving Foster Township more free services.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:39 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Wolf if you are a FT resident I would like to let you know that you as a taxpayer in Foster Township do pay for ambulance service in the township. For starters I assume that your health care provider pays the city for any service you might need. Second Foster Township pays the City of Bradford with your tax dollars 16,497.00 dollars per year. The Bradford City Fire Dept. does a great job for all they serve.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:22 pm 
Novice
Novice

This leads me to an idea. The city could annex the mall property. I'm sure the city would consider this. More property taxes, local services taxes, gross revenue taxes, etc. All of this for minimal investment and services provided. All they would need to do is deal a few shoplifting cases and land a few helicopters.

I would imagine then that you would expect the city fire department to answer calls at Walmart. The line has to be somewhere. You can't move it when it is convenient for you.

While I may sound a bit sour over your original post, I am glad to see you acknowledge to commitment and dedication that the volunteers provide to the community. This type of person is getting difficult to find.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:46 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I would like to see the actual numbers that city services extend into Foster Township. How many times does the city ambulance and fire department respond in a year? How many times does the city police respond to Foster Township in a year. How many times does Foster Township extend services to the city in a year? I have listened to this volley for a long time and as it stands Foster pays what the city believes what is fair and equitable. Therefore, if you live in the city take it up with YOUR elected officials. And if anything the 6th ward should be pruned from the withering vine of the city and be properly managed by township officals like Jim Connelly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:48 pm 
Novice
Novice

I think the key word is "cooperation" here. In this particular instance they were transporting patients from our hospital located in the city to a landing zone area. I just don't understand how Paid Firemen get to skip out on this and call upon the Volunteers who work for Zero Dollars to do a job the Paid Firemen are perfectly capable of performing. It just makes me feel as a City resident that we are paying for something that we do not receive any service for. When the landing zone is at Pitt Field, who do they call for this? I do not know. I almost feel it is taking advantage of a Volunteer organization and I must say the Volunteers are GREAT! And one more thing, if there is a fire at Walmart or any of the nearby residence I am sure the City Paid Fire Department would be called in on it too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

and it still Burns My AZZ!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:21 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Patton, I agree with your request for numbers concerning the number of times the townships provide "mutual aid" verses the number of times the City does. All that anyone ever says here is that it is tremendously lop sided City into townships. Well, HOW lopsided? I like to debate with facts and haven't been able to here because no one seems to have provided them. I would think obtaining them would be fairly easy for someone living in the Bradford area. I don't, I'm a former life long resident who moved away a few years ago who is interested in what's going on there. If they really wanted to prove their point and not just rant they'd get some facts on here, and to City Council meetings with questions, if the results warranted.
Simple questions:
How many times annually does BPD assist Bradford Twp?
How many times annually does BPD assist Foster Twp?
How many times annually does BFD assist Bradford Twp?
How many times annually does BFD assist Foster Twp?
And the opposite, of course.
Possibly these occurrences have been posted before, but I don't recall seeing them.
And if the City is being run so uneconomically, and the townships are no where near the City's incompetence, I would think the townships would want to run the other way when the idea of combining them comes up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:58 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Maybe one of the popular and effective "right to know" applications could be made, but we should have access to at least how many times Foster township responds to Bradford city emergency calls, both police and fire, from sunshine friendly people who post regularly here on BT? and vice versa, the same info would be available as to how many times city police and fire come out to FT, Right? I would say leave ambulance calls completely out of the equation, as these just muddy up the water and we already know that the townships pay for this service, and how much...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:28 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Wolf, would you feel the same way if it was your AZZ that needed flowen out?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:49 pm 
Novice
Novice

Wolf wrote:
I just don't understand how Paid Firemen get to skip out on this and call upon the Volunteers who work for Zero Dollars to do a job the Paid Firemen are perfectly capable of performing.

I will help you understand. The level of service provided by the municipality is the level of service provided. If the mall is in a municipality that provides a paid fire department, then a paid fire department is provided. It doesn't matter how far it is from the boundary. The mall doesn't pay a portion of their tax dollars to the city because they are closer to the boundary than others. The mall is in Foster Township and is provided the same services as the rest of Foster Township. Nobody skipped out on anything. Everybody did their job.

I still don't understand how you think that the city taxpayers should provide primary services to the outlying communities. I have no problem providing help when it is needed, but just because the job is trivial? The cooperation you seem to want sounds more like a welfare program. Doing work for somebody because it is too trivial for them and without any compensation is the problem in Bradford. Everybody wants somebody else to do their work for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:08 am 
Novice
Novice

OK I am going to try to make this short & sweet. Patton & Guitar, I completely agree with your ideas about your questions and the numbers.

Baker, Yes and for the record I HAVE been FLOWN out.

Now onto Unionman, sorry but I don't completely understand any of your posts on this subject. Plain & Simple, I know how the boundaries work and understand the need for them in most cases but not all. The key-word is do I agree with all of them. My answer is NO. And, yes everyone did their jobs. Kudos to the VFD's! And, it does Burn My AZZ when I see a Paid Fire Department who is located physically closer to this scene not go out on a job they are PAID to do. But instead a Volunteer Fire Department, who has members with other jobs to go to & private life responsibilities to take care of, take their private vehicles to their fire station, located physically further away from the scene to handle this type of call. I APPLAUDE the VFD's for their compassion & loyalty for what they do. Something maybe a Paid Fire Department should or could take care of.

IMO and only my opinion, it still BURNS MY AZZ!

Do I agree with the City having a Paid Fire Department? What do you think??