It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: A letter to the editor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:24 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Stony, his avatar, to me, looks like the business end of a rifle bolt, viewed from the end the firing pin comes out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:03 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Guitar wrote:
Stony, his avatar, to me, looks like the business end of a rifle bolt, viewed from the end the firing pin comes out.

You got it Guitar! I just didn't recognize it with all those lugs! It's looks to be an AR15 or similar rifle!

I'm "old school", I'm shooting a rifle designed from two centuries ago!

You'd laugh to hear what I thought it may have been!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:08 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Quote:
"Or were you talking about that really spirited letter to the editor?

"Make House Numbers Legible"? That touched on a few hot button topics for sure!"
You Moron, not that letter, the letter that was chastising the paper about being anti gun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:32 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Libertarian stoney had it right. the letter about the house numbers was more spirited than that gun rant from that crazy guy. hes like a male hollywood helen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:49 pm 

Stony, I was talking about the "Other Voices" from 1-5-13 written by Mark Grassi (got a copy of that biased soap box of a newspaper from a sweet old lady today). It was in response to the editors decision to use his position to speak for every individual of the Era on his anti-gun views. I will still boycott that paper and soon all the business who choose to advertise in it. I highly respect Allegheny Arsenal for pulling all their ads. I wish more businesses would do the same until there is an explanation of the editors actions, an apology, or he's fired.

Also, yes my avatar is the front profile of an AR platform bolt.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:12 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Flatwater, I get my paper from the old lady up the block after she peels it back up from the bottom of her birds cage! So mine is soggy and has a little more crap in it than the Era normally has! LOL!

You are putting me in the awkward position of defending the Era! A position I'm not comfortable being in!

First of all, what's the big deal about the new guy? I'm glad to see that the extreme right-wing conservative leaning paper has a more progressive editor. It's refreshing to see they didn't just promote from within and keep the same old crappy right-wing republican style going.

Secondly, the letter writer .... I couldn't have put it as eloquently as my friend the Green Man did! LOL! "A male version of Hollywood Helen". A big insult to Hollywood for sure.

He just regurgitated the typical FOX News kind of crap. And added a local slam on the new editor. Totally off base.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:22 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Whoever thinks the Bradford Era is "too liberal" don't understand what liberal is I guess! How can a right-wing, conservative, Republican, "status quo" paper like the Bradford Era get called Liberal?

An AR15 bolt as an avatar?

Didn't they close the gun range off Interstate Parkway to the public because some gun nut with an AR shot it all up?

There should be a very wide, solid line between being a second amendment supporter, and a gun nut or lunatic with a gun!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:56 pm 

I take issue with the editor signing such a staunch biased editorial "the Bradford Era", using his position to speak for so many employees, and seemingly push his own agenda. A newspaper should be unbiased, stating the facts and not opinions. I stopped buying that paper because it seemed to only glorify the actions and business ventures of the good ol boys, but now we're at the other extreme. Maybe this new guy will shed light on more "liberal" stories, but he's not getting off to a good start in my eyes.

As far as the author of "Other Voices", I don't know the guy but I agree with him. The issue isn't the gun, it's the human behind the gun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:59 pm 

Stony wrote:

I protected this country with the object that is my avatar, that it why I chose it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:54 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Flatwater wrote:
Stony wrote:

I protected this country with the object that is my avatar, that it why I chose it.

Um, I really hate to ask this .... but what pray tell did you protect this country from with an AR15?

We have not been attacked since World War ll, unless you count 9/11 and some of us believe that was more or less our own military industrial complex staging the events as an excuse to spend trillions on defense.

We never were threatened by Iraq or Afghanistan. They were never, ever gonna come over here to take us over, or to invade us or kill us. OR take away our liberties!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:20 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Flatwater wrote:
I take issue with the editor signing such a staunch biased editorial "the Bradford Era", using his position to speak for so many employees, and seemingly push his own agenda.

According to Marty Wilder, in her farewell editorial or last article, she described the staff at the Era as "one big happy family". She described them was working as one cohesive unit. So the managing editor DOES speak for the whole "family".

What agenda, do you think he might be pushing? Don't you think if the "old man" hired him, that he supports what the new editor is doing?

Flatwater wrote:
A newspaper should be unbiased, stating the facts and not opinions.

What? Where did you ever get that from? Dude, we live in a free country! People can buy, start and/or own a newspaper and say and print what they want! We have the first amendment in this country! We have a free press! THAT is more important than the second amendment! A newspaper can print what ever they feel like printing! Welcome to America! THAT is what people who fight to protect our country fight for! Newspapers and any news media can be as biased as they want to be! Witness FOX news!

It would be nice to have "unbiased" news, but that don't always happen. SOME newspapers strive to be unbiased and report the news from an unbiased view, but even when they do, extremes from both sides argue that they are biased.

Flatwater wrote:

I stopped buying that paper because it seemed to only glorify the actions and business ventures of the good ol boys, but now we're at the other extreme. Maybe this new guy will shed light on more "liberal" stories, but he's not getting off to a good start in my eyes.

Well, the Bradford Era really is a right-wing republican rag, and in my humble opinion, can use a little liberal reporting to balance them out a bit. Our country is getting much more progressive each and every year. The Era needs to respond to that to keep an audience. I got excited when it seemed the new editor is going to try to pull the Era's head out of Marty Causers rear end! That would be a good thing in my opinion!

Flatwater wrote:
As far as the author of "Other Voices", I don't know the guy but I agree with him. The issue isn't the gun, it's the human behind the gun.

That seems like more oversimplification from FOX news. Yes, it was a human that pulled the trigger, but without a gun and ammo, he might have killed far less children.

The shooter at the Church in Coudersport was stopped by an unarmed citizen. The shooter there only had a handgun, but may have killed the whole congregation had he had an assault rifle.

There is no simple answer to gun violence in this country, but doing nothing is not the answer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:40 pm 

Whoever mentioned Iraq or Afghanistan? Our country has far greater threats than the citizens of those countries.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next