It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Who is running this town?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:07 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Great reporting Stony! Bradford's priorities are very skewed! I'm tired of dodging wellies with my car b/c they are all walking in the roads. Now in the summer, they still walk in the roads, which makes me wonder what is wrong with the sidewalks then? But at least in the summer, my breaks work a little bit better.
But anyway, has shoveling walks in front of public and federal buildings gone out of style? WHERE is the chain of command? It appears to be missing a few links!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:44 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Not only are there City bridges that don't have the sidewalks shoveled 5 days after the first storm, but the City sidewalks around the municipal parking lot on E.Main St and City park on E.Main have never been touch by a shovel. Who's job is that?
But, more important, the countless sidewalks that are neglected by BUSINESSES in the Bradford area. These places are only doing the parking lots and not even trying to take care of the walks. This happened last year by some the same places. Does the Ordinance about snow removel exclude them. Everyone who sees these places should call City Hall, City Police, Code Enforcement, Mayor, or any one else and get the business reported. Or, if legal start listing them on BT.
As for the residential lack of snow removal. If you are out walking and see neglect in snow removal, call the above list with their address. After so many calls, somebody will get tired of them and do something.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:35 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

gunny wrote; "Not only are there City bridges that don't have the sidewalks shoveled 5 days after the first storm, but the City sidewalks around the municipal parking lot on E.Main St and City park on E.Main have never been touch by a shovel. Who's job is that?
But, more important, the countless sidewalks that are neglected by BUSINESSES in the Bradford area. These places are only doing the parking lots and not even trying to take care of the walks. This happened last year by some the same places. Does the Ordinance about snow removel exclude them. Everyone who sees these places should call City Hall, City Police, Code Enforcement, Mayor, or any one else and get the business reported. Or, if legal start listing them on BT.
As for the residential lack of snow removal. If you are out walking and see neglect in snow removal, call the above list with their address. After so many calls, somebody will get tired of them and do something."
As far as the businesses are concerned, it is a combination of apathy on their part, and on the part of the city. If the businesses arent "reminded" that they are required by law to do this (and its the right thing to do) they just let it go. This applies to much more than just snowy walks in Bradford, in fact this sums up Bradfords problems in a nutshell. The fact that city hall is giving us the bare minimum and charging us the absolute maximum becomes obvious when it snows. How about allocating some of those new vehicles and hires to the DPW? their trucks run steady 24/7, and they seem to be doing the most with the least...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:16 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Lo and behold! They say that complaining on Bradford Today don't accomplish anything! Last night I seen proof that it does accomplish something.

After our big storm Euclid (I survived Euclid on Euclid!), I was complaining about major walking routes in Bradford including some dangerous bridges, not being shoveled and being in dangerous conditions for all the pedestrians who walk around town. Then I was amazed that the new redundant, worthless, "Bridge To Nowhere" was shoveled bare, right down to the pavement.

Well as of last night (HOW many days after the storm?) the same areas, the same sidewalks and bridges were deplorable. Just like they were a day after Euclid. It did snow earlier that day, but only a few inches at most. But what absolutely amazed me, was that the new redundant, worthless, "Bridge To Nowhere" was NOT shoveled bare! It had a few inches of snow on it and there were foot prints from all the tourists who came to Bradford to cross the mighty Tuna at that specific location! Some visitors had to trod through nearly ankle deep snow! The horror of it all! Oh, the humanity! Imagine. Bridge crossers faced with a little light dusty snow under their shoes!

"I shall never return to Bradford to cross this unkempt bridge ever again"! LOL!

So, obviously, complaining on BT got them to STOP shoveling the Bridge To Nowhere!

Now all our ornamental bridge tourism will go to Shelbyville instead!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:14 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

UPDATE: Still snowing in Bradford. Sidewalks still not shoveled.

It's almost as if winter coming after fall caught our city off guard.

Almost like it's is the first time Bradford experienced snow.

Last year, a mild winter, with very little snow was a fluke.

The DPW is doing a great job on the roads, but the city needs to plow roads AND shovel walk ways and bridges in addition to plowing. Obviously they need more man power and equipment.

This is a very important public safety issue.

This in NOT Bradford's first winter. Why does it seem like it is?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:46 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Stony, I heard that when the DPW guys do get those walks shoveled, they are going to bring all the snow to your place and dump it! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:01 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

citizen wrote:
Stony, I heard that when the DPW guys do get those walks shoveled, they are going to bring all the snow to your place and dump it! :wink:

It's bad enough the plow guys are pushing the snow up onto my freshly shoveled walk! I shoveled three times in one day!

You are as bad as *somebody else I heard about* who is trying to get the DPW guys mad at me.

I DO NOT fault the DPW at all for the sidewalks not getting shoveled in a safe and timely fashion.

The DPW is one of the departments in Bradford that works hard and does a great job. It's obviously piss poor city planning that is not providing the proper man power to get the roads plowed AND the sidewalks shoveled at the same time. I'm not faulting the workers at all. Don't twist what I'm saying *like somebody else*!

In my opinion, all city council members should be required to "walk a loop around town" once in a while, to see what is actually happening in the town they are responsible for.

Bradford is much more than an "Ultimate Fishing Destination" with a really great ornamental bridge!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:04 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Yeah Stony, the difference is that you, i and the DPW guys know that i am just yanking your chain.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:24 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

stoney public safety takes a back seat to the andrews pet projects in this town. who do you think really runs this town? you think the mayer or public works can stand up to sarah andrews? no way. that bridge will always be shoveled before the rest of the town. the mayer cant do anything about that. the andrews run this town. get used to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:26 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

[quote]Anybody, friends of code enforcement or not should get a fine for not shoveling. The city can certainly use the money. And pedestrians can use the sidewalks shoveled![quote]
On Dec 31st the Bfd Error has a big story from the City about how CE would give tickets for not shoveling sidewalks with over 2" of snow 24 hours after the snowfall ended. First, how dare the city put that article in the paper when it took them(the city) over a week to clean their own walks.
Second, by now the CE office should, by their own rules, be out of writing ink for the massive amount of tickets that was supposed to be written! Anybody see or know of any tickets yets??

Now come the businesses:
Uni-Mart on Chestnut St: Sidewalks have be untouched by a shovel yet this year!! (Last year too)

ParkView Plaza: Maybe not a lot of tenants there, but the sidewalks really should be done!

Valu Home Center: There is a sidewalk out there by East Main St. Get out and look!

Togi's: Sidewalk between parking lots!

MedCare on East Main St: New to the area, but there is still a sidewalk in front of your building.

I'm sure there are many, many more business places that are in need of attention to their walks, but whether or not the building they are in is rented, leased, or owned, someone is responsible for the maintenance of the sidewalks and should accept responsibility and the citation from CE. If any of the above walks are now done, good it's about time.

Now back to the city:
I know DPW has been busy, but that's their jobs. Now how about Main St where customers can't even let a passenger out of their cars when parked in a space you have to pay for. These mounds of snow should be removed immediately if for nothing else but SAFETY.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:18 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Nobody in DPW is responsible for the city walks not getting shoveled. The problem is that they are understaffed. THIS far out from the storm Euclid, we STILL don't have all the city walks and bridges shoveled.

THIS is from last night, the bridge on Barbour Street going toward Brookline Court:

Attachment:
bc3.jpg
bc3.jpg [ 112.9 KiB | Viewed 707 times ]

And the Bradford Club may have been shoveled, BUT it's not very "walker friendly", or wasn't as of a few nights ago. The Bradford Club may have a bunch of members, but not many shovel sidewalks!

Attachment:
bc1.jpg
bc1.jpg [ 129.04 KiB | Viewed 707 times ]

Attachment:
bc2.jpg
bc2.jpg [ 130.25 KiB | Viewed 707 times ]

Not to mention all the buried fire hydrants in town!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:41 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

From before this weekend:

Attachment:
buriedhydrants.jpg
buriedhydrants.jpg [ 61.89 KiB | Viewed 701 times ]

Most of the Fire Hydrants I saw on my nightly walk were buried. There may have been many more that were COMPLETELY buried that I didn't see!

I saw only two that were dug out. The best one in front of the PNC Bank. The other on East Main Street.