It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: A letter to the editor
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:40 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

We all know what a biased, one sided joke the Bradford Error is, so if they don't publish this letter at least it's here. If only I was this eloquent. This is via Ralph Brooks.

My letter to the editor of the Bradford Era:

To whom it may concern;

I am currently living in Olean, but am planning on returning to the Northern PA area in the next few months. I picked up a copy of the Era to skim real estate ads.

I was shocked and rather saddened by the piece entitled, 'Find Gun Violence Solutions', which, among being founded on some misconceptions, was also fraught with blatant bias.

Initially, I reacted in a typically agitated way due to the fact that it contains some of the tired, repeated and misleading rhethoric that suggests the 2nd Amendment is somehow tied to hunting or defense of your house; Not so. Nearly every time a 2nd Amendment case comes before the Supreme Court, the ruling is in the favor of the gun owner and supports the individual right to keep and bear arms not only in the home, but upon the person outside the home as personal protection (Moore/Shephard vs. State of Illinois). Moreover, the decision includes text that the SCOTUS is not inclined to continue hearing these same cases and that precedent has been set.

The right to carry a gun, not just own one for hunting or your house, is established.

I can probably skip repeating the argument that, in the last 25 years, there have been only two shootings in a place OTHER than a gun free zone. Mass shooters pick targets which are without armed resistance; This is fact, and cannot be ignored.

I can probably skip digging out the several quotes from the many founding fathers who clearly intended the 2nd Amendment not as a tool for hunting, or defense from criminals, but as a means to secure our nation, even if it meant securing our nation from an overzealous government or tyrant seeking to deprive us of our rights.

As we speak, Diane Feinstein is drafting legislation that will do just that; Every firearm I own, including my wifes tiny .380 KelTec pocket pistol, will be banned. The only things left? Revolvers, bolt actions, top break shotguns. The very definition of tyrant seeking to deprive us of our rights.

There was also a statement that modern sporting rifles (Which you assign the term 'Assault Rifle' which is incorrect; An assault rifle is capable of full auto or burst fire, which these do not. They function no differently than a Ruger 10/22 or Mini 14) have no sporting purpose. Perhaps not in PA, but they are legal to hunt with in many states, NY included. This is a moot point, however, when the 2nd Amendment was not drafted with hunting or shooting targets in mind.

It also went on to attack the local Representatives, whom are all very accurately reflecting the will of our rural area.

The most unnerving aspect of the piece, however, was the fact that this heavily biased editorial that chose to exploit a tragedy was not presented as an editorial by an individual, but signed 'The Bradford Era'.

How can a news outlet have an opinion? Or rather, why?

Is not the job of a newspaper to report the news, rather than show bias on current events?

The last bastion of unbiased, unfiltered, uncorrupted news, is the local newspaper. What a shame that credibility has been destroyed in an effort to advance a political motive; A political motive whose end is statistically proven to be ineffective in ensuring the safety of Americans.

Instead of one person feeling the backlash of what is assuredly greater than 50% of the local population, and the three gun shops in the Bradford area who are some of the only businesses left prospering there, it will be the Bradford Era that takes the brunt of the ire.

Much like Chick-Fil-A was slammed by people saying, 'Why does a restaurant have an opinion on gay marriage?', I anticipate many will repeat, 'Why does a newspaper have an opinion on my gun collection?'

Ralph Brooks
Olean, NY (Soon to be Bradford, PA)

Post subject: Re: A letter to the editor
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:05 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Ryan, i was just getting ready to cut and paste this exact article from a friend on facebook! This ran in todays Era? I would like to know who wrote this! Was it the departing editor? Who!? This is a very polarizing topic, and it may be the final nail in the coffin of an already ailing newspaper. This will certainly make the new editors job much harder. Pretty shocking actually for a paper owned and run by a conservative old boys club...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:08 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

it was published on 12-21-12, page 4, and it was written by the new editor, not marty, and the coward wouldn't put his name to it and wouldn't announce his new job until after the article was published to make it look like Marty was doing it. m.ivancic@bradfordera.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:17 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Thanks Jeff! Looks like his tenure will be short, or the Era's days are numbered! HA!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:49 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

WOW, thanks Jeff!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:22 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

This paragraph pretty much sums it up for me... ; "Instead of one person feeling the backlash of what is assuredly greater than 50% of the local population, and the three gun shops in the Bradford area who are some of the only businesses left prospering there, it will be the Bradford Era that takes the brunt of the ire." Amen brother! (There are already comments on facebook from people who will no longer buy the Era, etc.) heads will roll! What perfect timing for a competing paper!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:09 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Here is similar poorly thought out decision by another newspaper. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... medium=RSS Something like this would not end well around here...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:46 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I wish people would just do what this guy says... Answer some simple questions before you run your trap. BTW I have heard that they actually didn't even find a .223 at the scene, it was 4 pistols and a long gun possibly a shot gun in the trunk. Very obvious agenda pushing.

By Rich Lowry

In the wake of the Newtown horror, a call has gone up for a conversation about our gun laws. To that end, here are questions for advocates of gun control pushing for a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, among other new restrictions, to address school shootings.

What's the functional difference between an assault weapon and a semiautomatic rifle? You do understand that the answer is "nothing"? An assault weapon is not an automatic weapon. It is semiautomatic like most guns now sold in the United States, i.e., it fires every time the trigger is pulled. What sets it apart is its scary-looking features.
What's more powerful, the Bushmaster .223 used by Adam Lanza in his slaughter or the average deer-hunting rifle? If the answer is the average deer-hunting rifle -- indeed, many states ban the Bushmaster .223 for deer hunting because it is too weak -- will you attempt to ban them, too?

If you want to read the rest go to http://mobile.oregonlive.com/advorg/db_ ... ue#display

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:10 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Nothing less than a first step in disarming citizens and nullifying our constitution.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:20 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

"At the end of the day, if we can show that there are far more active gun-rights supporters than anti-gun advocates, we can force the Republican House to hold."

If you are a supporter of the 2nd amendment, then read this and BE the squeaky wheel that gets the grease... Seriously, if you don't call or write your politicians over this then you have nobody to blame but yourself when the hammer falls.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p ... count=1012

Here is a petition to sign on whitehouse.gov it's easy and fast to make an account! https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... r/v4TVyn8w

Last edited by WRYankloSE on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:20 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

My new sign will read:
YES, I HAVE A PERMIT!!
YES, I CARRY!!
DO YOU??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:28 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I like it gunny!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next