It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Why does the Mayor make so much money?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:33 pm 
Novice
Novice

Accoorrding to the Bradford Era the mayor makes $5000 a yr. In fridays paper it stated that township supervisors make $1500 a yr. There are three supervisors totaling $4500. For basically doing the same job. Seems to me the townships are ran more economically.

Post subject: Re: Why does the Mayor make so much money?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:07 pm 
Novice
Novice

It looks like she has a pretty good time on five grand a year. I believe that cigar was a cuban. Nice pic.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:56 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Duchess you seem to get confused at times, you refer to the Mayor as a woman. That was the last Mayor. Truly, the city should become a 2nd class township and it could be ran by 3 or 5 supervisors. Why does it still have city status???

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:27 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Patton wote; "Truly, the city should become a 2nd class township and it could be ran by 3 or 5 supervisors. Why does it still have city status???" I suspect if the city gave up that coveted third class city status, a lot of nests would go unfeathered and pet projects would never see the light of day. Who would that hurt? Certainly not the taxpayers. Dissolve that city status and give me the budget the city currently requires to run, and you would see a lot of departments restructured and probably some property tax refunds as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:23 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

The problem is, citizen, that now one will vote for, or allow a referendum, to reduce the amount of power and influence they have or to eliminate their jobs. No matter whose good may come of it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:26 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Geez.... You guys put me in the awkward position of defending the mayor and what he is paid!

Five grand a year is not a lot of money ... trust me!

The Main Street Manager makes much more. The Elm Street Manager makes much more. John Peterson makes much more. Not sure what Ron Orris makes.

What I believe should happen is, Bradford should have a full time mayor that handles ALL the above positions, roll them into one and pay the person accordingly. Say at least as much as a fireman! He would be in effect running the whole city. The top administrator in the city. Oh, I forgot .... Also eliminate the Andrews-eses jobs and include that in what the mayor does. When you eliminate all those positions, you could afford to pay the mayor accordingly. Say $60-70K to start.

The city would save all the other salaries and more importantly, all their pensions, AND we would have one person to answer to all the foolish things, those departments have done over the years!

Make the Mayor a full-time Mayor with all those duties and responsibilities and pay him/her accordingly! ..... And let the buck stop there!

Look what we have now .... a fully dysfunctional system that is very top heavy and costing us taxpayers dearly!

It's time for a change!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:35 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

$5,000 a year to put up with all the crap that a mayor has to put up with from the public. You all are getting a deal. Be happy with that and move on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:05 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

musicman wrote:
$5,000 a year to put up with all the crap that a mayor has to put up with from the public. You all are getting a deal. Be happy with that and move on.

................ True, the mayor has to deal with issues brought up by the public, but to be fair THAT IS HIS JOB! He not only volunteered for it, he actively fought to become Mayor. I, and others in Bradford was a witness to that. He wanted to become Mayor badly.

The people have a right to hold him responsible for things under his control.

"People complaining about things" is what a democracy is all about .... or else move to North Korea if you want a government that can't be criticized! He is not a mayor in North Korea! He is in the USA and in this country we have a God given right, even a duty to air our grievances.

AND if you remember correctly, Tom himself was not bashful about "airing his grievances" with a government or a mayor before he became one!

Personally I would not want that responsibility for that little money, but he chose to endure that. Not once, but twice!

I've talked to an awful lot of citizens in this town who are very unhappy about where Bradford is headed. We can't sit on our hands, or "sit down and shut up" because the mayor only earns $5000 per year. That is not our problem. I'm all for paying him much, much more!

"Be happy with that and move on.", no, you move to North Korea where you belong!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:18 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Stony?...People really are complaining about paying someone $5,000 to do a years work? What percent does that make of the budget? It is a waste of time on complaining about $5,000. I am surprised none of you are out there counting every salt crystal being used on the roads and saying they are wasting taxpayer money on using to much Rock salt.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:47 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Once again you missed the point entirely.

I'm not complaining about what the mayor gets, I just said it, and I'll say it again, I feel he should be paid much more! Maybe ten times or more than what they pay him now. And for the record, I do believe the mayor does work for the city 24/7. He IS really dedicated and does care about what happens in the city all the time. I will give him that.

THEN, I made the point that regardless what he agreed to work for, he is still responsible for many things that should be working better than they are!

"We" the citizens have a right to complain about things in the city that can and should be working better than they are, no matter how little the mayor earns.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:24 am 
Novice
Novice

Mr. Patton,
Thanks for informing me that the mayor is not a female. The more I read on this site the more I realize how broken Bradford is. I read that the DPW did a good job on your streets. You got a lot of snow up there.
I have been reading old posts on Bradford Today and I found one post where the Mayor is a window contractor? And he has let HIS Contractor Licence expire? Is this one of the perks for five grand a year? Baker please fill me in???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:35 am 

So he can keep his contractors license current!