It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our taxes are going up!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:02 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Citizen, I'm not sure if it would be practical to put every major decision up for vote by referendum or a ballot vote.

*What would be nice* would be a few fairly easy improvements.

One, announce to the public well in advance what they intend to cover at each meeting. And then, when they do have a major decision to make concerning an issued that affects the citizens, discuss it at a meeting and perhaps extend it to the next meeting.

But, from what I hear, the city meetings are what I heard a couple people describe as "a circus". I'm told there are the usual handful of "regulars", including Hollywood Helen.

Not like Foster Township that gets 30 to 40 people (regular citizens) attending on average, and sometimes upwards of 150 people.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:13 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Unionman,
I read your comments, and I agree with some of them. I know this web site is accused of being a fictitious site but, most of the time we can debate in an orderly fashion. I believe I know who you are, and I have the utmost respect for you.
Stony and Citizen are correct when they keep bringing up a balanced budget. Citizen was a prominent business man in the city for many years. I am not too far behind him for getting out of business in the city. Fifty percent tax increases, the GROSS BUSINESS PRIVILEGE TAX and, for me, competing against my own tax dollars with the OECD. I do compliment JK for investing in Bradford, or Main St. in particular. He is a smart business man. He truly has a positive influence in Bradford.
What ever happened to the Early Intervention and Five Year Plan? In my opinion, we have pretty intelligent people on city council. The 5.2 million dollar loan is a done deal, so we as TAXPAYERS will have to trust your decisions for now. You will be judged down the road; "Are we better off now than we were 2008?" When we serve as elected officials, it is difficult to deal with outside opinions, but, it is also our duty to listen to the people who put us in office.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:04 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Good points Landlord, on the Gross Business Privilege tax, and the OECD competing with established business. I remember when they set up the Auto center guy from Wellsboro on West Washington street with a fancy building, even going to the extent of moving major utilities for him. This was within sight of a long time locally owned and well established auto repair center. (Colley Auto) and just down the street was Dexters Auto. The out of towner was gone in about 6 months, and we were stuck with the bill. Things like this are the reason we had to float a bond just to pave streets that had been ignored for years, while we spent millions on follies like this, (and it continues with the bridge to nowhere...) How many times has this repeated itself through the OECDs existence? The concept is sound, but the execution is questionable. No wonder Foster Brook is the business center of our area.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:14 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

It is not hard to throw up the agenda on the website days before the meeting. I do it every week. Also we have an archive of all meeting minutes since the year 2000.

http://www.cityofolean.org (under latest news)

Minute Archive

http://www.cityofolean.org/council/minutes.html

Stony wrote:
Citizen, I'm not sure if it would be practical to put every major decision up for vote by referendum or a ballot vote.

*What would be nice* would be a few fairly easy improvements.

One, announce to the public well in advance what they intend to cover at each meeting. And then, when they do have a major decision to make concerning an issued that affects the citizens, discuss it at a meeting and perhaps extend it to the next meeting.

But, from what I hear, the city meetings are what I heard a couple people describe as "a circus". I'm told there are the usual handful of "regulars", including Hollywood Helen.

Not like Foster Township that gets 30 to 40 people (regular citizens) attending on average, and sometimes upwards of 150 people.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:25 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

musicman wrote:
It is not hard to throw up the agenda on the website days before the meeting. I do it every week. Also we have an archive of all meeting minutes since the year 2000.
http://www.cityofolean.org (under latest news)
Minute Archive
http://www.cityofolean.org/council/minutes.html

Very good MM! I'm guessing Bradford has had the internet almost as long as Olean has! LOL!

It would be nice if they informed the residents here, as well as they do in Olean, via the internet.

Anne Holiday is fairly good at recording the meetings and then posting them on the WESB blog, but sometimes the recordings of the meetings somehow seem to disappear!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:35 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

We also broadcast all the common council meetings live on Cable TV channel 6.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:11 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Surely, the Comedy network might have an interest in airing ours! LOL!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:35 pm 

Taxes are being curbed in the city after a citizen complained that the American Legion 108 was using the Veterans Square and city services, obviously for nothing, therefore the city levied a $100.00 fee. Is this fee levied for every event? Because if it isn't that citizen should complain about all events that use city services if this citizen has that much influence at curbing cost of a 8.9 million dollar budget. I have heard plenty of cries from these threads to curb cost to no avail. Keep up the good work $100.00 citizen! The foot bridge by the legion was 2750 one hundred dollar bills.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:10 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Stony wrote:
(plan worked!)

heard about your plan and the title of this thread from a guy at work. that was brilliant. im still laughing about it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:17 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

resident, are you suggesting that it was Stonys plan all along to keep taxes from going up in the city by using reverse psychology, and titling this post the opposite of what he wanted to happen? Nobody is that good at political chess! But if that was your plan, Thank you Stony, for saving us from an 11th hour tax increase, that should help my bottom line this year!

Last edited by citizen on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:19 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Stony,
Your plan worked perfect, Thanks. :lol:

Last edited by landlord on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:28 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

No, there was no plan using fourth grade psychology!

I'm just a liar who titled this thread erroneously!

Thanks for the kudos!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next