PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:42 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Get ready.

Post subject: Re: Here comes gun control
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:15 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I would hope more guns in schools would be coming.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:57 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Meanwhile, in Chicago which bans guns, 342 People have been murdered...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:59 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

The exact same thing happened in China today. I wonder if they'll ban knives there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:11 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Or phones in Australia?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:36 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Why this mentally unstable kid's mother would have guns in her home, purchased by her, is beyond me.

We will never keep guns out of the wrong hands, but way too many tragedies occur by seemingly normal people owning guns. There was a father who lost his small son, who was sitting in the back seat of the car, when the father's gun on the dash board went off.

In another day or two, they are going to start showing photos of the kids murdered in Conn, and it will be unbearably sad to see their little faces.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:40 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Seems like we need to reconsider "gun free zones". Only the law-abiding citizens observe them which leaves a target-rich environment for those who break the law. Schools, shopping malls, churches, even city hall offices are frequently scenes of unmitigated carnage that COULD be mitigated by responsibly armed citizens. At least the death count could be lowered by a trained, armed person (or ten) on staff and on hand when some soul snaps a twig and decides that this is a good day to kill. Of course the BEST solution is that all mass-murderer wannabes attend "Aggie Mass Murder 101" where you learn to kill yourself BEFORE you kill all the others.........

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:33 am 
Novice
Novice

Relax, your guns are safe. (FYI - grew up in Bradford. Hunted from the time I was 12. Own several guns. Support gun ownership but not unconditionally.)

The NRA loves to scare people with the "Obama will take your guns away" line but it hasn't happened and won't happen. However, I personally do not want people carrying guns into bars, on college campuses, etc. Knives, clubs, fists I can defend myself against or run away. An angry drunk ten feet away can kill me with a gun. And no, having my own won't necessarily help. I'm not taking mine out until after he takes his out so I'm probably too late.

Sad case in the news the other day. A man pulled into a convenience store and didn't like the loud music coming from the car beside him. He told the 4 teenagers to turn it down. Being teenagers they turned it up. It escalated and he says they showed him a shotgun. He went to his car, took a gun from the glove box, and fired 4 shots into the other car, killing one of the teens. He was originally charged with 2nd degree murder but that has now been raised to 1st degree murder. So far there is no evidence any of the kids got out of the car and obviously if they had a shotgun they didn't shoot at him. He had time to go back to his car for his gun.

Now I'm thinking if this guy didn't have that gun in the car he would (a) have done his shopping and ignored the kids or (b) moved his car somewhere else in the parking lot or (c) left and gone to another store. But because he had that gun and he lost his temper a kid is dead and the guy is facing prison time. How did having the gun help this guy?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:09 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

A complex, yet simple issue. There cant be any laws tweaked or enacted that prevent or make it difficult for law abiding citizens to protect themselves. In these crazy immoral times we live in, the onus of protecting ones self, loved ones and property lies more with ourselves and less with the authorities everyday that goes by. (despite inflated police budgets) The breakdown of society, and yes even more sinister forces may be at work behind the scenes. I dont buy the 'random shooter' theory, especially the ones that act completely out of character like the young man out in the Portland.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:23 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I found this interesting this morning:

http://news.yahoo.com/no-rise-mass-kill ... 00637.html[url][/url]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:40 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

"But those who knew the alleged shooter struggled to reconcile the difference between the quiet, withdrawn 20-year-old without a criminal record and the man who donned black fatigues and a military vest and rained hell at the Newtown, Connecticut, school last week." "A former classmate told CNN affiliate WCBS that Lanza "was just a kid" -- not a troublemaker." and the Portland shooter... "'Something in his mind clicked'
The accused mall shooter's friends describe him as a happy-go-lucky guy who suddenly turned dark."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:10 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

BornToRun wrote:

The NRA loves to scare people with the "Obama will take your guns away" line but it hasn't happened and won't happen. However, I personally do not want people carrying guns into bars, on college campuses, etc. Knives, clubs, fists I can defend myself against or run away. An angry drunk ten feet away can kill me with a gun. And no, having my own won't necessarily help. I'm not taking mine out until after he takes his out so I'm probably too late.

Sad case in the news the other day. A man pulled into a convenience store and didn't like the loud music coming from the car beside him. He told the 4 teenagers to turn it down. Being teenagers they turned it up. It escalated and he says they showed him a shotgun. He went to his car, took a gun from the glove box, and fired 4 shots into the other car, killing one of the teens.

Now I'm thinking if this guy didn't have that gun in the car he would (a) have done his shopping and ignored the kids or (b) moved his car somewhere else in the parking lot or (c) left and gone to another store. But because he had that gun and he lost his temper a kid is dead and the guy is facing prison time. How did having the gun help this guy?

EXACTLY! No mass murders in recent times have happened without guns. But then they say...."what about owning a gun to protect my home and family?" Oh wait....there's the story of a guy getting shot to death by a man defending his home. Turns out the guy was drunk, went out for some air, and out of confusion, enters the wrong house. Homeowner shoots an unarmed drunk. Had there been no gun in that house, a tragedy would have been averted. No easy solutions to the gun dilemma. But ask any parent of the recent killing if gun control should be strictly enforced.