It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our taxes are going up!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:58 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

For the record, I have never made a personal attack on Mr Riel or anyone in his family. I pointed this out to him not too long ago, along with the fact that he would find many posts of mine supporting him back in the day when i still felt he was repesenting the taxpayers best interests. This was in response to an e mail he had sent me, that frankly, was very mean spirited and full of personal attacks and accusations. My displeasure with Mr. Riel is strictly regarding his choices, decisions and actions as a 'politician' that affect me directly as a Bradford city taxpayer. I will take this opportunity to point out what a hypocrite Mr. Riel is for lashing out at people who are expressing their right to free speech concerning an elected official. I remember a time when Mr. Riel was a big fan of free speech. Mr. Riel, i am still waiting for you to post an example of these personal attacks. I am assuming you dont mean something as offensive as "The mayor is a prostitute" do you?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:32 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

citizen wrote:
For the record, I have never made a personal attack on Mr Riel or anyone in his family. Mr. Riel, i am still waiting for you to post an example of these personal attacks. I am assuming you dont mean something as offensive as "The mayor is a prostitute" do you?

This about says it all!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:21 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Tom_Riel wrote:
I decided to respond to this topic primarily due to 2 of the blatant falsehoods or lies that were posted. The first being Stony's title for this discussion. He posted the erroneous title on purpose shortly after an Era article about the new budget not being based on a tax increase.

Well, since I was not specific as to when I thought our taxes would go up, you can't truthfully argue what I choose to title my post.

Our taxes WILL be going up, trust me.

Mr. Riel, with all due respect, you are the expert on raising taxes around here! What was the millage rate when you took office in 2008? 11.25 mills was it? And now under you, in 2012, it's 16.02? So didn't it go up nearly FIFTY PERCENT! From 2008 to 2012 a nearly fifty percent raise in what was ALREADY a high tax rate? How much higher is our millage rate than our neighboring communities?

IF our taxes don't immediately go up again this year, THAT is nothing to brag about. In my humble opinion, borrowing some $5,240,000.00 to "fill a hole in the budget" only "kicks the can down the road". It didn't fix a problem, it only served to postpone the problem. The problem being, a balanced budget for the city.

Care to tell the taxpayers how much money we will be paying back when all is said and done? When you add up every single penny that is spent on the interest on that loan over all those years?

And please don't twist this into a personal attack on your or your family (by the "crazy guy" on the internet) .... it is not. I'm just explaining my reasoning for the title of this very post.

YOU and city council have increased our taxes substantially since 2008 (nearly 50%!), thank you in advance for not raising them again this year! (If that turns out to be true)

BTW- borrowing money to fill a budget deficit is not a very Republican thing to do!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:25 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Why all of the complaints? Didn't the democrats win? Taxes go up under democrats more than republicans. Be happy with your win, you get what you voted for.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:21 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

(plan worked!)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:39 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Mr. Riel with all due respect, could you please be specific on the personal attacks. The generalizations are evident of a lack of facts, in which you have been able to use in my opinion, to your advantage via the press. New editor may not be that favorable?
Anyway, you, imgus, or newt should not be worrying who considers or who decides to run for public office since private citizens are demanding honesty, integrity and transparency from their government so the public will go that way. Is this the reason for the early campaigning for John Sullivan? You guys make it appear that there is more at stake than civic responsibility! In my opinion, John Sullivan, Tom Riel and Dale Phillips are bad for government.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:26 pm 
Novice
Novice

Well said Mr. Patton, There is doubt about it, Sullivan is working with the chamber to get foster township in the city???

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:02 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Does anyone else think its ironic that we pay 16.02 mils in taxes, but 4 mils go to interest on loans? The city borrows whatever it needs, and maybe not today, but soon enough the taxpayers foot the bill? I would call this living beyond our means, plain and simple. I interpert this as we might have a more reasonable tax rate of around 12 mils if we werent paying back loans from the past. Using this example, it shouldnt be too hard to see what our taxes are going to look like down the road. Can anyone tell me exactly what the 3.26 mils for 'recreational purposes' are for?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:08 am 
Novice
Novice

I'am glad I don't live in Bradford any more. From what I read on the internet Bradford has really gone down hill. Taxes have gone up almost 50%. I here there aren't any jobs. The town is full of welfare and slumlords. Is it true most of main st can be bought at a county tax sale? Bradford was a nice town years ago.
Would some one please explain to me about the right to knows and being paid 25,000 thousand dollars involving an adult club? Does he allow this to happen? Is it really on Main St? This is sickening.
Drive by shootings. People being dragged by cars, but you have a nice new bridge. I will be reading this internet site daily. I used to get the era but I can't afford it any more.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:27 am 
Novice
Novice

It seems quite clear that everyone has a problem with the bond floated by the city. I understand they theory behind this and I have simpathy for those who don't like it. But the idea that your taxes would be 4 mils lower without this bond is laughable.

Many on BT have complained about the condition of the streets in Bradford. How much would you taxes have gone up without the bond when the streets did get paved?

This apparently there was a portion that was earmarked for mass demolitions. I know many of you have also complained about blight. The city is fixing what you wanted. It is my understanding that the majority of the houses taken down so far have been done with grant money, saving the city taxpayers tens of thousands of dollars.

My point is that the city is using a large amount of the bond money to fix many of the physical problems that many here on Bradford Today have complained about. Now, that these items are being address some BT users are finding fault with how it is being done.

So, my question is - Do you want your complaints addressed or are you just looking for something to whine about?

To my knowledge there is one elected offcial who comes here frequently. It is about time that the rest of you stand up and run for office to fix the problems. You could also work hand and hand with the city officials to find an alternative solution to these problems.

Citizen, from reading the through this, it seems like you have volunteered some of your time to a city board. Thank you. I'm not sure what the rest of you do, but I suggest you step up and follow Citizen's lead.

As for the title of this thread, it is quite obvious, considering the timing of the post, that it was intended to mean that taxes will go up this year. You can back-pedal all you want but this isn't a courtroom with an impartial judge. Every reader is their own judge and they will interpret the intended meaning for themselves.

I also see many people pointing fingers at Mayor Riel over increased taxes. I just want to remind these people that Bradford is not a dictatorship. They mayor sits in a board of five people. His opinion is a mere 20%. At least two other people have to agree with him to accomplish anything, including tax increases.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:49 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Agh! The beauty of being able to express your opinions freely on the internet!

Good post Unionman. Although I can't say I agree with any of it, but you did state your opinion pretty clearly.

But you outline the situation as a black and white, or "ether- or" issue and it is not.

In my humble opinion, balancing the budget by borrowing millions of dollars, doesn't work for the city any better than it may work for you home or personal budget. You can't keep borrowing money to make ends meet.

There is only ONE true way to balance a budget. That is to limit your spending to the amount of money coming in. Perhaps even with a "cushion" for emergencies.

While we borrowed some five point something million, we the taxpayers will have to pay back a minimum of some eight or nine million dollars.

To be paid back by a city that may do progressively worse year after year for the next 20 something years!

AND I don't believe "they" offered the choice to the public to choose between issues being addressed, and borrowing millions of dollars to do it.

Some of us in the city would like to see more issues like this debated in public and let the public make suggestions and comments, with less decisions made behind closed doors.

Being a union man, you should embrace public participation, and democracy!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:11 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Yes unionman, well stated, but... As someone who will be paying back the bond, and someone (along with every citizen in Bradford) who didnt have a say in this, Therein lies the problem. Major financial decisions that affect Bradford residents (and other big issues like police dispatch) should be discussed openly well ahead of a decision, and then be put on a ballot, so the people affected by this have a say in the matter. That is supposed to be how a Democracy works. I also think city hall should be run like a business, if it cant run with a balanced budget, then maybe it should be put on a state program that would force it to run efficiently. Foster township under Mr. Connelly would be a good model for the city. This bond was floated to pay for past out of control spending, and its being used now as a blank check. How does that quote go? Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it..? The other major issue is that we are running the city like we still have a well off large population from days past. Bradford city government could stand a good downsizing across the board to get with the times and the current population.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next