It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bridge to Nowhere- Revisited!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:59 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Last night I happened to be passing the now infamous "Bridge to Nowhere" in Bradford. The quarter million dollar unneeded, redundant walking bridge that goes from nowhere to nowhere. The one that looks like it was designed by a Chinese guy on crack! No offense meant to my Chinese friends. Or anybody I might know on crack!

I thought it was odd that the bridge under construction, not yet open to the public or usable yet, was all lit up! Kind of odd to waste electricity like that to light a bridge up that can not be used. Who's paying that electric bill?

Then, much to my dismay, today, mid-day I was in the area again .... and notice the same thing .... The bridge was STILL lit up! The lights were on in the middle of the day! WTF? Seriously?

I mentioned this to somebody and they said they thought the light option was left off this project to keep the cost down. So what is up with that?

Why is the incomplete bridge lit at night? Why is it lit during the day? Who pays for that?

Do we really have drunken sailors running this city for real?

I DO understand why a drunken sailor would want the bridge lit up at night ..... so they wouldn't sail into it, or fall off of it .... but why the lights during the day?

Attachment:
btn1.jpg
btn1.jpg [ 107.42 KiB | Viewed 1113 times ]

Attachment:
btn2.jpg
btn2.jpg [ 109.95 KiB | Viewed 1113 times ]

Hello! Is this a joke?
Attachment:
btn3.jpg
btn3.jpg [ 128.94 KiB | Viewed 1113 times ]

Somebody tell me this is a rubber or foam prop that was placed here as a joke! Ha Ha, you got me!

Post subject: Re: Bridge to Nowhere- Revisited!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:27 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Well stony, that was probably put there on purpose, so they could come back later and spend another $50,000 to move it a little to the left.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:40 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

No, Neo, I do not believe that is real .... It's GOTTA be a fake! It's smack dab in the middle of the trail! And nearly in middle of the stairs as you exit the bridge! It's HAS to be a joke! (But it sure does look real)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:50 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Oh, here is the "artists conception" of what the bridge should have looked like!

Attachment:
Xijiang_-_Covered_Bridge.jpg
Xijiang_-_Covered_Bridge.jpg [ 201.12 KiB | Viewed 1094 times ]

But this is what it ended up looking like:

Attachment:
btn1.jpg
btn1.jpg [ 107.42 KiB | Viewed 1094 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:50 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I have been trying to hold my tongue concerning this bridge, but i cannot any longer. Come-on people, everyone has thought the same thing im about to say, this thing is a monstrosity, and in no way fits the character of our historic downtown district. The haphazardly piled boulders look like something used to stablilize a creek bank, and whatever that is supposed to be in the middle just looks like what it is, a waste of money. It will be a nice spot to gaze upon the shopping carts and stolen bicycles in the bottom of a concrete channel. The old footbridge just looked like a footbridge, two railings and a deck. The fire hydrant in the middle of the path is a perfect punctuation mark for this project. Anyone know what the weight limit is down to on the Elm street bridge? Two baby buggies?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:23 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Actually the lights are probably necessary to keep the crack heads from adopting it in warmer weather. No doubt the electricity was included along with future maintenence costs into the budget. Stony, you have seen those pipes in the center of other trails like the Pitt trail? That must be what the hydrant is there for. Two birds with one stone, Genius!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:12 am 

Actually the Hydrant was there already. It runs off the main waterline that runs under the bridge. It was at the end of the sidewalk that was already there that they replaced.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:45 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Well I hope the welfare scanks and crack whores realize that when they push their double strollers full of kids into the hydrant, that might be a very profitable lawsuit for them. Depending on how bad the babies are injured it may be a million dollar lawsuit or more. No offense meant to my welfare scank friends or my crack whore friends who may read this. Hey ladies (and I use that term jokingly), this may be your big chance to get rich!

I'm curious where HARB is on this. Why didn't they ask the bridge reflect the style of the neighborhood, rather than a China-men's nightmare?

Who decided that neighborhood needed a little Chinese ambiance?

That bridge really does stick out like a sore thumb.

BUT having said that, the construction looks top notch! Hats off to the builder.

Last edited by Stony on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:54 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

smokeeater wrote:
Actually the Hydrant was there already. It runs off the main waterline that runs under the bridge. It was at the end of the sidewalk that was already there that they replaced.

That was sort of obvious. BUT what they *should have done* in my humble opinion, would be to "fudge" the walk way a little in either direction to exclude the hydrant from the right of way. How hard would it have been to move the trail and sidewalk 5 feet?

Oh, that might have involved a VERY expensive study ..... I understand how city hall works!

In fact, city hall would have commissioned a study to see if a study was feasible!

Hey, Smoke ..... any idea whey they light the bridge up with an unusual amount of light, day and night?

My best guess is it might be directed into outer space to signal somebody on another planet. I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:06 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

There's no handicap access/bike ramp on the bridge.

Now that the bridge is almost complete, wonder how much money it'll take to refurbish it? Just like the protruding corner/traffic calmer near the Corner Bar...

The expression is usually "throwing good money after bad", but here in Bradford we throw BAD money after bad!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:21 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

The Phantom wrote:
There's no handicap access/bike ramp on the bridge.

Now that the bridge is almost complete, wonder how much money it'll take to refurbish it? Just like the protruding corner/traffic calmer near the Corner Bar...

The expression is usually "throwing good money after bad", but here in Bradford we throw BAD money after bad!

Not to disagree, but that is "worse money after bad".

That hydrant is exactly like the protruding corners! Must be the same person designed it in.

It's this kind of stuff that makes Bradford look stupid to outsiders!

Phantom, I believe the concrete steps are for able bodied people, and the soft, squishy, gravel that curves around to the side is the "ramp" for wheelchairs! We're all gonna be in wheelchairs after we trip and break our legs on the fire hydrant! LOL!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:34 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Attachment:
btn4.jpg
btn4.jpg [ 128.94 KiB | Viewed 1006 times ]

Attachment:
btn5.jpg
btn5.jpg [ 125.29 KiB | Viewed 1006 times ]

It is positioned perfect for when somebody slides down the railing on a bike or skateboard they will hit their foreheads or balls on the hydrant! Great fodder for a youtube bloopers reel!