It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: I feel much safer now...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:54 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Did I say I wasn't afraid of ANYTHING? What I meant was I'm afraid of EVERYTHING!

Flying in near the top of the list.

I'm also opposed to flying on principle. There is a lot of waste in airplane travel. And the pollution is very significant.

I don't think I ever said I took photos during a fly over the ANF. I did set the route and my camera was used in flyovers, and I may have said they were "my photos", which they were. But I never flew myself.

I'm very safe on a motorcycle. I ride year round. I put more miles per year on a motorcycle than most riders. I work at avoiding accidents.

As a passenger in a plane, all you have the control over is to bend over and kiss your ass goodby in the case of a major problem with the plane. On a motorcycle, if there is a catastrophic failure of the motor, I can coast to the side of the road and push the bike home. In a plane all bets are off! You will be hitting the ground at 700MPH!

I'll take my chances on the bike!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:58 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Quote:
I'm very safe on a motorcycle. I ride year round. I put more miles per year on a motorcycle than most riders. I work at avoiding accidents.

As a passenger in a plane, all you have the control over is to bend over and kiss your ass goodby in the case of a major problem with the plane. On a motorcycle, if there is a catastrophic failure of the motor, I can coast to the side of the road and push the bike home. In a plane all bets are off! You will be hitting the ground at 700MPH!

Quote:
The past 10 years have been the best in the country's aviation history with 153 fatalities. That's two deaths for every 100 million passengers on commercial flights, according to an Associated Press analysis of government accident data.

The improvement is remarkable. Just a decade earlier, at the time the safest, passengers were 10 times as likely to die when flying on an American plane. The risk of death was even greater during the start of the jet age, with 1,696 people dying – 133 out of every 100 million passengers – from 1962 to 1971. The figures exclude acts of terrorism.

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — Direct costs from deaths and injuries due to motorcycle crashes were $16 billion in 2010, but the full cost is likely higher because long-term medical expenses are difficult to measure, a government report said.
Motorcyclists are involved in fatal crashes at higher rates than drivers of other types of vehicles, and are 30 times more likely to die in a traffic crash than passenger car occupants, according to the Government Accountability Office report.
In 2010, 82,000 motorcyclists were injured and 4,502 were killed in crashes, the report said. The average cost for a fatal crash was estimated at $1.2 million, while the cost for injuries ranged from $2,500 to $1.4 million depending upon the severity.

The odds seem to be against you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:54 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I think you may have missed Stonys point Guitar.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:07 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I don't fly because I don't like having my balls fondled.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:26 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Quote:
I think you may have missed Stonys point Guitar.

I can easily understand al his altruistic disagreements, Citizen. And can agree with SOME of them.

But, with the amount of miles he purports to drive, when someone pulls out in front of him, or T-bones him or hits him head on, all the braggadocio of how safe he drives means nothing. He becomes on of the 80 some thousand at best and one of the 4500 at worst.

He also pontificates on how much he rides his bicycle. In the same time period for the motorcycle statistics there were over 600 bicycle related fatalities.

If he has so much fear, then he should start driving and flying more!

I DO commend him for his environmental and exercise intentions in his chosen modes of transportation. But certainly not for his safety reasoning.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:55 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I dont think the statistics would have made these people feel any safer.

Attachments:
dead people.jpg
dead people.jpg [ 105.96 KiB | Viewed 3040 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:00 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

May the Odds be with you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:06 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Neo wrote:
I don't fly because I don't like having my balls fondled.

(I just can't resist!) I LOVE having my balls fondled! But I am rather picky as to who I let fondle them!

I bet if they let only the hot stewardesses do the ball fondling, more people would fly!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:33 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Still not feeling it. http://news.yahoo.com/video/airport-ins ... 02705.html