It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Our taxes are going up!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:04 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

Looks like our taxes are going up again!

It seems they spent $700K more this year than last and there doesn't seem to be a source for that added $700K! ........ Except for a tax increase.

I thought the city and several departments made budget cuts ..... where did the $700K increase come from?

Why do they continue to spend more than they take in? I thought a bunch of Republicans were running this city?

Bradford needs to CUT TAXES to survive!

Not punish the hard working taxpayers until they are forced to leave!

Post subject: Re: Our taxes are going up!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:46 pm 
Novice
Novice

How many buildings were torn down over the past year? How much tax money did those buildings bring in? I don't recall seeing the Pine St building on any back taxes list. We need to start replacing these buildings and using FOR PROFIT developers to do it. We need occupants for these buildings, and to pay taxes. Keep that happy balance of city tax income, but not so much that it keeps people and business from coming here.

Am I dreaming or can this be done?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:02 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

It's like the liberals like to say: "it's math". Do the math.

With the city's expenses going up each and every year, AND less and less properties to pay taxes, all they can do is borrow money and kick the can down the road into the future. Borrow money to fill a hole. Then borrow more money to fill a bigger hole. Eventually something has to happen. There are less people to pay more taxes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:09 am 
Novice
Novice

700k adds up quick when the city council does things like give out sweetheart loans of 50k to a business that are attempting at going into a market that has already been cornered. I'm talking specifically about protocol 80. While I have no dog in this fight and I do commend them on fixing up the property they now occupy off of east main, I'm left wondering, could this amount of money be spent in a more efficacious manner? Also, have the members of the council ever heard of web.com or godaddy.com? I also understand trying to make a buck in a free market, eg McDonald's selling hamburgers shouldn't discourage every potential restauranteur in the area. Ah but therein lies the rub, cheeseburgers vs domain names. The godaddys of the world own almost every conceivable, viable, domain name. So thus, protocol 80 could be the best web designers in the world, and still be unable to compete due to not owning the rights to a URL.

My suggestion to improve this problem? Save the money for business loans for something that would more broadly benefit the community. A family attraction, a nice new theatre, a sports facility. A lot of the youth in the area have to travel outside to the surrounding area or further to take advantage of such businesses. A business akin to any I have suggested will not only solve the issue of travel, it could give more options to more youth than they are currently afforded. Unless I am missing the appeal of parking across the street from McDonald's or drinking/doing drugs. It may even bring some travel Bradford's way.

Also, Rhett Kennedy sucks. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:43 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I do find a little humor that Bradford is losing population and I am guessing most of you on here do see that going on. So when you Google Bradford PA, BT is the 3rd search result. Most people will go to the 1st result, skip the 2nd one (Wikipedia) and will click on the 3rd result which is BT.

Now if I never heard of Bradford PA before and I was a person thinking about moving here because of a job or otherwise or even thinking about a business here, do you think I would even think about it after reading some of the posts on BT?

Most posts are bashing Bradford and how horrible it is there. I am sure a lot of you out there would not even think about it after reading the posts on BT that are about Bradford.

So the thought process from what I understand is this. Let's complain about how bad Bradford is all the time on a public internet forum, the city is losing population, but you want people to move here or open a business here, even though some of you are quite vocal with the keyboard on how bad it is here? If it is so bad would you just tell people to not even think about moving here?

That is my pre-latte thought this morning

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:09 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

We've been down this road before.

As you well know MM, the internet is a great tool for reaching people.

To the point that many say that Obama was re-elected over the special interests who spent many times more supporting Romney financially (ads on TV, radio, and news print), because of people networking on the internet.

THIS, as you well know, is the new modern media that everybody is plugged into.

We have several "traditional media sources" in Bradford that DO protect the status quo by hiding their heads in the sand (or elsewhere), and reports about only what the powers that be want them to report.

Complaining on here gets attention to various subjects.

The mayors fight with the previous CE department is a perfect example. BT helped shine a light on the problem and things changed.

To address a problem you need to first identify it and then debate as to the best method to fix it.

And since people in Bradford are so apathetic, what better venue for a "public meeting" could there be?

We here expressing opinions on BT, are not as controlled as the city council meetings.

LOTS of people each and every day read, and talk about what appears on BT!

AND further, do you think if all we did was talk up Bradford, that people would move here on favorable talk they see on the internet?

Linda Devlin recommending Bradford as the "ultimate fishing destination" comes to mind!

WE DON'T HAVE AN ULTIMATE FISHING DESTINATION!

We have carp, shopping carts, boots and old toys in the Tuna, which in Bradford is mostly a storm drain flowing through an oil refinery!

You post what you want, wherever you want on the internet and let others do the same!

Sugar coating Bradford or putting lipstick on this pig will not make people move here!

It's all the problems not being addressed that are making people flee!

FIXING BRADFORD'S PROBLEMS, and LOWERING THE TAXES is what will bring people here, not ignoring what needs to be addressed!

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:11 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Musicman, I dont think whats printed on the internet about Bradford is a priority for most Bradford residents, (maybe for a few people with an agenda who might want to put a homogenized version of life in Bradford out there) Which category do you fall under? What is a priority for lifelong Bradford residents like me, who have a stake in this City, is to see important issues that plague Bradford fixed, and the truth behind murky issues exposed. What better place than here on the internet? If I remember correctly, you arent a Bradford area resident, what is your dog in this race?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:39 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I used to live in Bradford and I am in Bradford often lately as I been doing a lot of work in the Bradford area. I see where you want a place to discuss these issues, but you could be as they say shooting yourself in the foot, by people in the forum saying the things they do about Bradford.

I tried to look at the forum that morning as I never been on the forum before and I was looking for information on Bradford, PA. Just an example, just look at the topics on the first page for the General Bradford Area Discussion page:

Our taxes are going up!
BRMC shaking people down for money!
What is going on in Foster Township?
Beacon Light, sexual assault and kool-aid
Hotel Holley in the news again!
State Police in Bradford
Another house fire on Elm street. (the real Elm street)
Drug Bust on Congress Street
Elected Official Exposed
You just might be a Bradford Scummer .........
Here's what voter fraud looks like in Pennsylvania!
The "Bizarro World" of Bradford!
Survived a Trip to Bradford

Now if I was a person looking for info on Bradford on the forum, those are the topics I might click on and that is just the first page!!.

I am not saying you should not voice your opinion, but you might be doing more harm than good in the task of drawing people to Bradford

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:09 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I personally would rather know the truth about an area, than go to all the expense and trouble of moving just to get a nasty surprise. Someone in the know told me Bradford is in the top 5 in the state for the amount of welfare and disability cliams relative to population, maybe higher. That being said, this is a forum for those of us who already live here. Not to sound callous, but its not my position to candy coat Bradfords image for those who might move here. Let the city fathers fix the problems, then everybody wins.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:15 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

musicman wrote:
just look at the topics on the first page for the General Bradford Area Discussion page:

Our taxes are going up!
BRMC shaking people down for money!
What is going on in Foster Township?
Beacon Light, sexual assault and kool-aid
Hotel Holley in the news again!
State Police in Bradford
Another house fire on Elm street. (the real Elm street)
Drug Bust on Congress Street
Elected Official Exposed
You just might be a Bradford Scummer .........
Here's what voter fraud looks like in Pennsylvania!
The "Bizarro World" of Bradford!
Survived a Trip to Bradford

I am not saying you should not voice your opinion, but you might be doing more harm than good in the task of drawing people to Bradford

First of all, who says "we" are trying to attract people to Bradford? There are people who get paid a lot of money to do that.

"We", if I may speak for others take pride in our town and want to see it do better. The best way to do that is to point out obvious problems and suggest a solution.

Those who lie about problems not existing are part of the problem! The deniers and those with their heads in the sand or elsewhere are the ones who are ruining our town.

We have often phrased things we see as being good or positive for Bradford.

This is a public forum for discussing issues ....... censorship for what ever reason sucks!

Besides, we have a shiny new, brightly lit, Chinese bridge to attract new residents!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:18 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

You are right you meaning the city has a new nice bridge.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:30 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

musicman wrote:
You are right you meaning the city has a new nice bridge.

.......... Meanwhile, the Elm Street brigade on the other hand ... the REAL Elm Street..... is deteriorated so bad that a city plow truck can't legally cross or plow it!

But one day soon, one may be able to cross the mighty Tuna like an Asian might cross a Chinese river. From nowhere to nowhere!