It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Brad Preston guest commentaries in the Era
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:26 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

One called 'Bradford-Streams of Information' and one titled 'Bradford-City without Boundaries' These are up on the Eras facebook page if you dont happen to get the Era. Two of a four part series. Interesting and insightful articles.

Post subject: Re: Brad Preston guest commentaries in the Era
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:22 am 
Novice
Novice

I've been reading these columns and wondering why someone hadn't commented on BT. The third column ran yesterday and there is one more to go.

Good or bad, here is someone offering an alternative to doing nothing. I happen to think his idea has some merit. Probably the Chamber of Commerce would be the logical existing organization to make it happen but it's a big jump for a group usually dedicated to promoting only local businesses and attractions. But Preston is right that a town like Bradford can't offer everything everyone wants.

I travel a lot and often do exactly with he envisions. I pick a central location and stay there several days, making day trips to other attractions within an hour or hour and a half drive. Mostly I have to put all this together myself because I've never run into such a gateway, but I think it's a good idea. One advantage when I do this is I spend enough time in my base town to get familiar with local businesses, so I'm apt to spend on more than just food and lodging in that town.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:25 am 
Novice
Novice

I think I see the problem. Lots of talk but no action.

Someone takes the time to put forward an idea to boost Bradford and no one cares. It took some time to compose that four part series the Era ran. It should at least have stimulated some discussion. But only one comment on BT about it and the Era says they got little feedback. Doesn't sound like the city officials listened either.

So stop bellyaching about how Bradford is going to the dogs. No one cares. It's easier to bitch about scummers or businesses you don't like than to actually do something constructive. That's a sure recipe for further decline.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:58 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Yes, you are right on all counts (except we probably wont stop bitching about scummers) Every once in a while a person comes forward and works in earnest to make a difference. Sometimes its a private citizen, sometimes a newly elected official. Usually this lasts until they realize that the powers that be have Bradford exactly how they want it, and even though they might give lip service to change, thats usually where it stops. Mr. Preston has some great ideas, Maybe our economic development team can do something with them. (i see they are currently buying properties at the tax sale) A public meeting was mentioned. These meeting usually start with a core group of interested and even enthusiastic people, but have a tendency to falter and fizzle out, generally due to lack of the city taking action, this is usually punctuated by zero follow up. In my opinion, usually due to a conflict of interest with someones hidden agenda. Like was said, all talk, no action. Been there, seen that. We did have a brief period when an elected official was willing to go against the status quo, and had some motivated citizens behind him, but it didnt last. I will say that this isnt the case in at least one of the townships.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:48 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

citizen wrote:
These meeting usually start with a core group of interested and even enthusiastic people, but have a tendency to falter and fizzle out, generally due to lack of the city taking action, this is usually punctuated by zero follow up.

The neighborhood watch comes to mind.

In fact, show me one thing the city did in the way of an idea or program or initiative that was successful?

OR ........ show me several!

citizen wrote:
We did have a brief period when an elected official was willing to go against the status quo, and had some motivated citizens behind him, but it didnt last. I will say that this isnt the case in at least one of the townships.

Amen Citizen!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:12 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Yes Stony, The neighborhood watch.. may it rest in peace. Truth be told, it was dead from the start. Someone didnt want it. Another great example is the slumlord issue. Why is it still an issue? As long as i can remember, this has been a major problem in Bradford. Many of Bradfords ills can be traced back to this issue, The whole concept of someone destroying taxpayers property values while raking in the dough and living away from what they have created is immoral. Why does city hall let this situation exist while they lavish attention and money on one or two neighborhoods. Why does neighboring Warren, with a welfare office and similar population, not have droves of wellies and scummers wandering the streets? Why are Warrens neighborhoods clean and neat while their OECD operates on a budget that is only in the double digits? Why indeed...