It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Marilla Guardrail
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:53 pm 
Offline
BT Regular
BT Regular
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:22 pm
Posts: 765
I was at Marilla a few days ago and realized, there have been two accidents in the same exact spot that were fatal or near fatal... Why is there no guardrail there? It's right at the beginning of a corner after a notorious icy stretch, and there are large trees and a steep bank. Just extend it about 30 feet closer to Marilla, wouldn't even have to go that close to the trail/bridge area.

_________________
Closed minds STOP thought crimes!


Top
 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re: Marilla Guardrail
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:15 pm 
Offline
BT Regular
BT Regular
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:11 pm
Posts: 4515
Amen Ryan, there are multiple safety issues on 346 near Marilla. One is the lack of guardrail that you mention, A big one is the speed limit down through there. Now that its a recreation area and destination, the speed limit should be reduced by about 15mph and then enforced. Numerous people trying to turn around and park, combined with Cletus flying low in his Turbo diesel 4wd, and its just a matter of time. Combine that with the rough pavement and the ice formed by the evergreens and you have a recipe for disaster.

_________________
"When a man assumes a public trust, he should consider himself as public property." THOMAS JEFFERSON


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marilla Guardrail
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:14 am 
Offline
Novice
Novice
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:00 pm
Posts: 102
Very good points. I assume both of you have spoken to PennDot or the appropriate township officials about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marilla Guardrail
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:57 pm 
Offline
4 Stars
4 Stars
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:37 am
Posts: 8707
BornToRun wrote:
Very good points. I assume both of you have spoken to PennDot or the appropriate township officials about this.


Don't you think the township officials and PennDot already know about these problems? That section of road has been bad for years now! How can anybody not know? Shame on them if they are unaware of the problems. Oh, and shame on them for not fixing them by now!

As many people know hundreds of people a week and sometimes hundreds a DAY visit the Marilla Reservoir.

People go there daily to hike, walk, fish, geocache, explore, hunt, and take pictures. There is no reasonable way to turn around there to head back to Bradford.

People have to frantically make a "K" turn across two lanes of traffic that OFTEN means dodging speeders going 60MPH or more past the res.

There have already been several deaths along that stretch and there will be more.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marilla Guardrail
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:47 pm 
Offline
BT Regular
BT Regular
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:26 am
Posts: 2093
Location: Bradford
Totally agree! We love going to Marilla, but its downright scary trying to turn around to head east. I wish there was a turn-around-spot on the same side as Marilla, other than the road further up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marilla Guardrail
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:25 pm 
Offline
BT Regular
BT Regular
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:22 pm
Posts: 765
Well, it was a spur of the moment realization about the guardrail when I was looking at a memorial marker.... and by 30ft I meant 30 yards.... Also haven't spoken to anybody about it, maybe next Bradford Township meeting if I'm not unreasonably busy as I normally am at that hour on a Monday. If any of you are going to the meeting perhaps bring it up?

_________________
Closed minds STOP thought crimes!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marilla Guardrail
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:17 pm 
Offline
Novice
Novice
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:59 pm
Posts: 91
This is just a crazy idea but it has worked for me in many instances. When you approach an area with congested parking, children running around, multiple road side memorials and broken up guard rails, try using the "other pedal." It is a little to the left of the right-most pedal. If it is working correctly, you will notice your car slowing to an appropriate speed. No one has to "fix" anything for you. No one has to try to make the road idiot proof. Also, take note of the big wheel directly in front of you. If you move it carefully, you will notice you can stay between the guard rails.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marilla Guardrail
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:25 pm 
Offline
BT Regular
BT Regular
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:53 am
Posts: 254
zenrider wrote:
This is just a crazy idea but it has worked for me in many instances. When you approach an area with congested parking, children running around, multiple road side memorials and broken up guard rails, try using the "other pedal." It is a little to the left of the right-most pedal. If it is working correctly, you will notice your car slowing to an appropriate speed. No one has to "fix" anything for you. No one has to try to make the road idiot proof. Also, take note of the big wheel directly in front of you. If you move it carefully, you will notice you can stay between the guard rails.


May-be you should re-read the OP and replies, here are a few key comments:

ryanclose wrote:
Why is there no guardrail there?


citizen wrote:
there are multiple safety issues on 346 near Marilla. One is the lack of guardrail that you mention, A big one is the speed limit down through there.


Stony wrote:
There is no reasonable way to turn around there to head back to Bradford.

People have to frantically make a "K" turn across two lanes of traffic that OFTEN means dodging speeders going 60MPH or more past the res.

Stony wrote:
There have already been several deaths along that stretch and there will be more.


Shadow wrote:
but its downright scary trying to turn around to head east. I wish there was a turn-around-spot on the same side as Marilla,

_________________
* Purposely written with typos, misspellings and bad grammar. I butcher the English language on purpose just to piss you off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marilla Guardrail
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:28 am 
Offline
BT Regular
BT Regular
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:53 am
Posts: 254
Another one for you Zen:
citizen wrote:
Numerous people trying to turn around and park, combined with Cletus flying low in his Turbo diesel 4wd, and its just a matter of time.

_________________
* Purposely written with typos, misspellings and bad grammar. I butcher the English language on purpose just to piss you off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marilla Guardrail
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:39 am 
Offline
BT Regular
BT Regular
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:26 am
Posts: 2093
Location: Bradford
zenrider wrote:
This is just a crazy idea but it has worked for me in many instances. When you approach an area with congested parking, children running around, multiple road side memorials and broken up guard rails, try using the "other pedal." It is a little to the left of the right-most pedal. If it is working correctly, you will notice your car slowing to an appropriate speed. No one has to "fix" anything for you. No one has to try to make the road idiot proof. Also, take note of the big wheel directly in front of you. If you move it carefully, you will notice you can stay between the guard rails.

For the same reason we have stoplights, stop signs, yield signs, Closing gates and flashing lights for trains, etc......you can't trust people to have common sense. Just think of the taxpaying money we could save on signs alone, if ppl as a whole, were smart!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marilla Guardrail
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:43 am 
Offline
4 Stars
4 Stars
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:37 am
Posts: 8707
Zen was being sarcastic and funny!

And some of us got it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Marilla Guardrail
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:56 pm 
Offline
BT Regular
BT Regular
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:56 pm
Posts: 1346
Zen was being factual. If everyone drives appropriately there is no need for guardrails, anywhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
ADVERTISEMENT






LIKE US
EMAIL SUBSCRIBE

Enter your email address:

DONATE

© 2004-2014 Bradford PA Today. News & Information. All rights reserved.

Bradford PA Portal | PennsNews | BigFree Information | Free Web Hosting