It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Police enforcement at GGB School
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:21 pm 

Today, as my fiance and I were dropping off our child for school we witnessed another woman, who was doing the same, being harassed by a local officer patrolling for the school.

She was parked in a no parking zone. As were about half a dozen other cars. Is this legal to park there? No. But a lot of parents do as they are only there for a few minutes, not hours.

She was picked out of the rest because she was the only one going back to her car to leave. He told her she was not allowed to be parked there, she didn't know she stated, she was not from here. Shes from NC just moved here. Of course she should know that a no parking means no parking, but maybe this is what the school allows for dropping of kids is what she is thinking. Since at pickup time, parents are to drive up what used to be a one way and park in the same "No Parking" until the school employee's bring out your child.

He began to get huffy with her, giving her an attitude and asked her for her I.D. She stated she did not have it on her. He said then I will just follow you and pull you over. She shut her door, he whipped it back open and started yelling at her, cause he thought she said something. She did not, I was right beside her of couse listening because the conversation was so loud. He was being rude, arrogant and just plain childish. As a person of the law, id expect much better here. Since after all, his wife works at this school also. She was issued a citation for being parked in a no parking, a disorderly conduct!!, and one other citation im not sure of. Now, for most people a simple " Ma'am, this is a no parking zone, please move your car and if you park here again I will have to issue you a citation" would have been sufficient. Why must this officer make such a stink out of simple things? Why the attitude and arrogance to a nice young girl who was not being rude or yelling back? Much worse things around here, and worse people doing more corrupt things I suppose he could take his frustration out on.

Post subject: Re: Police enforcement at GGB School
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:24 pm 

I forgot to add, she said I was actually going to park in the parking lot but your car was parked in the middle of the road blocking the parking spot. But this was okay for him to be parked illegal. Not showing a good example here are we?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:30 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

What an a-hole. We received a note that was sent home on Tuesday from GGB saying that when dropping your child off to park in the main lot or allow them to walk into the school by themselves because by now they should know where to go. My son is in Pre-K. Would I allow him to walk up to the school by himself because I can see him? Absolutely not. I can see the bus stop from my house too but I wouldn't allow a 4 year old to walk up by himself even though he "knows" where to go. Regardless, I don't understand the difference between the morning drop offs and the afternoon pick ups? You can't park there in the morning, but you can in the afternoon? It makes no sense.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:02 am 
Novice
Novice

So many things wrong here.

It seems that the police are expected to pick and choose what laws they enforce? Don't they already get accused of that from time to time. As long as there are drug dealers running the streets of Bradford, I should have a free parking pass? I conciously parked in a no parking space and I should get off with a warning because I am so stupid that I didn't really know that I wasn't allowed to park there. We all want the polce to do a better job, but when they begin to crack down on laws we don't like or agree with, suddenly we don't like them. Which do you want?

A suggestion ... let's really think about this one before getting excited. As long as reliefers are wandering Main Street, Buffalonians and Pittsburghians are shooting up neighborhoods, customers are fighting in the Holley Hotel, etc.... all near decent people in the city should be allowed to take personal liberties with minor laws. Can you imagine the chaos this would create? Maybe the code enforcement crew should be added to the anti-drug police force in the city because blight and garbage doesn't really hurt anybody. Drugs are much more serious. Right now, an off-duty police officer is probably setting a bad example for someone, somewhere. Does that mean that I should be allowed to park at a meter without putting money in it? NO! I don't care it that bad example happened right in front of me - if I voluntarily or even subconciously break the law and am caught, I, as every responsible adult should, will take full responsibility for my actions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:22 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Unionman. If no one else got a ticket, that cop is an a-hole. Period. No they shouldn't pick and choose which laws to enforce, but when they are enforced they should apply to everybody. What I was getting at is why is the morning drop off any different than afternoon pick up- where parents are still parked in a no parking zone when picking up their children? It makes no sense.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:03 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

MrClickie wrote:
Today, as my fiance and I were dropping off our child for school we witnessed another woman, who was doing the same, being harassed by a local officer patrolling for the school.

She was parked in a no parking zone. As were about half a dozen other cars. Is this legal to park there? No. But a lot of parents do as they are only there for a few minutes, not hours.

She was picked out of the rest because she was the only one going back to her car to leave. He told her she was not allowed to be parked there
Being told not to park in a no parking zone is harassment?

MrClickie wrote:
,she didn't know she stated, she was not from here. Shes from NC just moved here. Of course she should know that a no parking means no parking, but maybe this is what the school allows for dropping of kids is what she is thinking. Since at pickup time, parents are to drive up what used to be a one way and park in the same "No Parking" until the school employee's bring out your child.
Regardless of traffic control devices you are supposed to follow the directions of an LEO.

MrClickie wrote:
He began to get huffy with her, giving her an attitude and asked her for her I.D. She stated she did not have it on her. He said then I will just follow you and pull you over. She shut her door, he whipped it back open and started yelling at her, cause he thought she said something.
Another crime this woman committed. Driving without her driver's license with her. You couldn't be standing beside her if she's in her car and he whips the door back open (you would be in the way).

So nice to see that people continue to take only the side they want to agree with without taking into consideration the other side. Maybe this officer was ordered to pick randomly 5 people to ticket for the parking offense to make an example and possibly reduce the number of tickets written in the long term. Maybe he heard something you didn't.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:28 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

The police should be up at BHS also and do the same thing. It says no parking, but don't abide by it. Park all day or get there by 2pm and wait for their grown child to come out. It's bull. And if I'm going either way on Interstate, and these parents stop in the middle of the road to let them out, I don't stop, I go around. Teach them to use a crosswalk. To bad these hovering Mom's didn't live in my era, I was 4 yrs. old and walked to school without my Mom. Give us a break.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:17 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Enforce no parking in the morning, but do not enforce it in the afternoons. Makes NO sense. It doesn't matter if they chose 5 random people to ticket. Why does this only matter in the morning? That's what I want to know.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:46 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

The officer was in the right to tell her not to park there, as he should have with everyone else. He was wrong to whip her door back open though. Even if she had said something, there was no legal reason for that officer to open her door. The vehicle is her safe haven and without probable cause there is no legal precedent for opening that door. It doesn't matter if she swore at him, anything. Unless he was detaining her and she retreated to her car or he had given her a "lawful" order not to re-enter her vehicle he was over-stepping his authority.