It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Gross business privilege tax
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:22 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Resident Taxpayer wrote:
and who paid the parking fee for that big dumpster being there on the street for most of the summer and spring? how many parking spots did it take up? id hate to see that bill 3 times 25 cents times 24/7. what the city lost out on for a building permit it probably made back easily on the parking money.

Street/Sidewalk Occupancy - $15.00 fee To be used for Roll-Of Containers, painting a building, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:55 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Back to the Gross privelege tax, Why wouldnt records be available to taxpayers concerning past payments? We should certainly be allowed to see that everyone has paid their fair share of this tax, (unless they didnt...) City Hall would have to have a lot of balls to ask us for any kind of a future tax increase, without first providing these records.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:27 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Quote:
City Hall would have to have a lot of balls to ask us for any kind of a future tax increase, without first providing these records.

It would appear to me, from all that I have read here, that that is EXACTLY the case!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:06 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

citizen wrote:
Back to the Gross privelege tax, Why wouldnt records be available to taxpayers concerning past payments? We should certainly be allowed to see that everyone has paid their fair share of this tax, (unless they didnt...) City Hall would have to have a lot of balls to ask us for any kind of a future tax increase, without first providing these records.

You and I have no right to know what anyone or thing pays in taxes. Fair share is too subjective to use as a measurement. Truly fair would be flat rate, anything else is unfair.

If your tax rate is 20% and you pay 0% because of tax breaks your given that's great but if a companies tax rate is 20% and they pay 0% because of tax breaks that's bad? Blame the politicians that write the tax code, not the companies that take advantage of it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:54 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I dont care how much they pay, just that they pay it. Is this the case with the Privilege tax? Are some exempt per a tax code, or do we just look the other way when it comes to certain entities? It has to be applied across the board or not at all, that is my point here. According to todays Era, city hall is not ruling out a new tax increase. This is a different tune than the one sang to me a couple months ago.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:12 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

citizen wrote:
I dont care how much they pay, just that they pay it. Is this the case with the Privilege tax? Are some exempt per a tax code, or do we just look the other way when it comes to certain entities? It has to be applied across the board or not at all, that is my point here. According to todays Era, city hall is not ruling out a new tax increase. This is a different tune than the one sang to me a couple months ago.

One way or another, if you're working, you are responsible for a 1% municipal tax and in some municipalities you're responsible for an extra tax. In the city it is $52 I believe on top of 1%. The only way around this is if you pay the tax in the municipality that you are working in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:43 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I've never heard of such a tax! You have to pay a tax just to work.....before you've earned anything? When did Bradford go Communist? And you people think that's NORMAL? I've been all across America and I've never seen such a mad money grab from a city. No wonder Bradford is dying....... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:09 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

tigereye wrote:
I've never heard of such a tax! You have to pay a tax just to work.....before you've earned anything? When did Bradford go Communist? And you people think that's NORMAL? I've been all across America and I've never seen such a mad money grab from a city. No wonder Bradford is dying....... :roll:

It's been this way ever since I can remember. It used to be $10 a year to work in the city of Bradford, then several years ago, it got raised to $52 a year. I've heard rumors that other small cities tax ppl for working there, but don't know if it's true. If you make less than a certain amount, say 10K, then you don't have to pay it. It may be deducted, but you can go to city hall and try to get it back. Back in 1982, I worked at Pizza Hut, and they took the $10 out of my first check. Then I quit to go to work in a grocery store, and they took another $!0 out of my first check. I went to City Hall to get my 2nd $10 back, and the woman was totally snotty and argued with me that Pizza Hut just opened, so they could not have taken it out! From then on, I kept ALL pay stubs.
Fast forward 30 years. This past summer, working in a hot kitchen, feet aching, back hurting, I look out the screen door to see a parade of scummers strolling by, smoking, swearing, loaded with tats and babies, not a care in the world. And WE have to pay an additional $52 a year to work so they can fritter away the day. Yes, I hate the welfare in THIS town!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:32 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Shadow wrote:
I look out the screen door to see a parade of scummers strolling by, smoking, swearing, loaded with tats and babies, not a care in the world. And WE have to pay an additional $52 a year to work so they can fritter away the day. Yes, I hate the welfare in THIS town!

So this $52 that the city takes goes directly to the welfare department? Ohh yeah, I forgot, they take your entire paycheck and give it to the reliefers. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:55 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

Neo wrote:
Shadow wrote:
I look out the screen door to see a parade of scummers strolling by, smoking, swearing, loaded with tats and babies, not a care in the world. And WE have to pay an additional $52 a year to work so they can fritter away the day. Yes, I hate the welfare in THIS town!

So this $52 that the city takes goes directly to the welfare department? Ohh yeah, I forgot, they take your entire paycheck and give it to the reliefers. LOL

Who knows really how much of my paycheck they get. Fact is, I work, they don't...... I get payed for working, they get payed for not! No, they do not get my entire check....but the check they get is entirely theirs!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:24 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

It happened after 911 and goes towards emergency services. If I'm not mistaken all municipals in Pa. can charge up to $52, which most do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:32 am 
Novice
Novice

I remember paying the $10 tax in the sixties. Most cities in PA adopted it and some large cities were a lot higher. Did you people just wake up from a coma?