It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Visiting Bradford, questions from a Brit.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:34 am 

(First off - argh, mistyped my forum-name. Should be 'nervouspete'. Stupid whiskey. Anyway...)

Hi folks,

In two week’s time I’ll be flying over from Wales to stay with my auntie and uncle in Bradford. This is my first trip to the US with me being anywhere other than Central Oregon. I’m a hugely keen photographer and I’m pretty excited about the fall season, although I suspect I’ll get there just after the peak colours. Anyway, I’ll be gadding about there for ten days and was wondering if you folks could answer me a few questions so that I can get the most out of my stay.

First off, the most important thing… bars, pubs and coffee shops! Where do you recommend? More importantly, are there any? I had heard about Kimberly’s Cool Beans café but it seems to have gone now. Bah. I especially love independent beers, so any local state beer recommendations will also be looked upon with favour. What other places nearby Bradford would you say are nice to wander and enjoy alcoholic and caffeinated beverages?

Secondly, I love me some walking and walking without purpose especially. Just getting up and heading in a random direction for a few miles and seeing what’s out there, or mulling over things is something I like. I see from the map that there are a few settlements like Custer City, Dallas City and Lewis Run, and they all seem to be within seven miles. However, while in the UK we have lots of footpaths and can amble cheerfully along country lanes without being pulverised, I don’t know what the deal is in PA. Is it fine to go for strolls along the sides of the roads or viewed as a sign of insanity? And how are the trails in the area? Are there any that lead from place to place? I’ll have hiking boots, compass and what-not. Are there any walks you’d recommend?

Next up is that I’m itching to photograph; especially Americana, old abandoned places, diners, industry, woodland (shouldn’t have a problem there), winding roads and stuff. Is there anything nearby or a drive away that you’d reckon interesting to shoot?

Anyways, I’m really looking forward to my stay over there. Sorry to bombard you with so many questions. Have a great fall and everything.

Pete

Post subject: Re: Visiting Bradford, questions from a Brit.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:47 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

nervouapete wrote:
(First off - argh, mistyped my forum-name. Should be 'nervouspete'. Stupid whiskey. Anyway...)

As requested, I fixed your username typo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:01 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

I think it's Malcom Merryweather! LOL!

Hope you enjoy your stay....plenty to see!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:26 pm 

Shadow wrote:
I think it's Malcom Merryweather! LOL!

Hope you enjoy your stay....plenty to see!

I must discover this Malcolm Merryweather and if need be destroy him...

(Searches Google a bit, pokes about on Youtube...)

Ahh, this explains much. Hey, according to Wikipedia he's fictionally from Heckmondwike, which is only about ten miles from where I grew up in Yorkshire and a pretty similar village. And I have at points worn a flat cap too. By eck! He looks like a Yorkshire James Cagney! In watching a bit of this Andy Griffiths on YouTube I suspect that part-time valet/butler Bob hasn't got a work-permit, and thus will suffer grievously when Andy Griffith finds out, the daft aipath!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:04 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

LOL! great investigative work Pete! I love the Andy Griffith show. I don't know about a work permit, but Malcom did step on Aunt Bea's toes, making her "Lady of Leisure" status feel useless. But I wouldn't be that way. In fact, if you stayed with us and did all the chores, hubby and I could spend more time at the local pub.
BTW, you will love our pubs. Just stay out of certain ones, as the nee'r-do-wells that dwell will make your stay a hell!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:30 pm 

Dodgy pubs, eh? We have them too down here in Cardiff, but it's normally no beef so long as you don't go on match day, don't use words with too many syllables and stay aware! Which pubs and bars should I avoid, and more to the point, any pubs strongly recommended?

Shadow, I ended up watching an episode of that Andy Griffiths Show, the one where Merriweather first turns up. I was expecting a groan-fest of terrible stereotyping and cloth-eared dialogue, and was rather surprised to find a pleasantly whimsical and thoughtful show. Merriweather's slang was pretty much bang on for the time period. I especially appreciated his use of the word 'clemmed', which means hungry. Good performance by that Fox chap who played him. It was a world away from those terrible episodes of Frasier where they'd go to a British ex-pat pub in a desperate attempt to cram in as many Dick Van Dyke accents as possible. So yeah, good effort, Andy Griffith. And crikey, Ron Howard was in it too?

For further quality period Northern England stuff, try the film 'Whistle Down the Wind', which is a gentle comedy with a hard edge about three kids on a hill farm who encounter an escaped criminal in a barn, and mistake him for Jesus. Also excellent is the film, 'Kes', which is about a Yorkshire boy dropping out from school, with no prospects other than working down t'pit. Written off by all but one teacher, he finds a baby kestrel and raises it and trains it. Very realistic film with a heart-breaking ending. Also worth a look is 'Brassed Off', about the closing down of the pits by Thatcher, and a colliery band trying to win the national brass band competition. Features an incredible performance by Usual Suspect's 'Pete Postlethwaite'.

You'd never guess I worked in a library, would you?

Anyway, not long now. Hope there's still some leaves up when I get there.