It is currently Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:45 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:15 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
And people complain that Apple stuff is expensive?! The upgrade to Mountain Lion cost me $19.99 not $199

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:47 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

City:
ZIP:
musicman wrote:
And people complain that Apple stuff is expensive?! The upgrade to Mountain Lion cost me $19.99 not $199

Windows 8 at $199 ..... WHAT A BARGAIN!

Mountain Lion at $19.99 ..... YOU SUCKERS ARE GETTING RIPPED OFF!

Let's just watch the numbers ..... How many people will jump on Windows 8 for that price, and how many idiots will be suckered into buying Mountain Lion for the foolish price of $19.99?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:42 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
musicman wrote:

Hold your horses there Musicman, your talking about “Upgrading” for $19.99.

Yes, that seems like a good price to upgrade, but when you factor in the original cost of the machine, upgrades really should be FREE. In the end, your OS originally cost way more than Windows.

Lets compare upgrading to upgrading.

If someone bought a Windows 7 PC on or after June 2nd, they can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $14.99.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... rade_en-us

Anyone else running XP, Vista or Win 7 can upgrade for just $39.99.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bl ... 39-99.aspx

So even at $40 to upgrade, I'm still saving tons because the computer originally cost way less.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:57 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

City:
ZIP:
............Not to mention a PC machine is a better computer at a lower price!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:24 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
This is why most of you should be open to other technologies. Your PC, can run various OS'es either via a virtual machine or just rebuilding it to a different OS, or making a partition and throwing the OS on there. But none of those will run OSX correctly and as clean as a Mac. Now with my iMac I have 2 computers for your one. I can run OSX and also run Windows or Linux or any OS at the same time. I use parallels which runs right with the OSX interface. I can also use boot camp which would give me the partition to load either Windows 7 or 8. Running it in my virtual machine or via boot camp shows no speed slowdown. I have 32 gig of ram in my IMac so I have plenty to throw at VM's or use the whole 32 gig if I decide to use Boot Camp instead. I like Windows, my main certification trek (MCSE) is Windows, but you have to be open to new or existing technology. At work I use a mixture of Windows, Linux and a little OSX. Every OS has it's weak points and strong points, no one is better than the other. With the 3 Linux flavors I use I do not install a GUI, I use all command line. Most people would say that sucks (no gui), but it runs better and I can administrator it better that way. I am sure little known to the average consumer, I can also install Windows Server without a GUI. You boot up windows and you get a dos prompt that is it. Before you say something sucks and this is better than that you should use and be used to the technology. I use all favors of Windows from Windows 2000 Pro up to Windows 2012 server. I am certified and run OSX Lion and Mountain Lion and I run and administrator several flavors of Linux. I think I am qualified to make that decision.

Stony, have you installed OSX Mountain Lion and ran it for awhile to give a good opinion? I am guessing no. Do you use other operating systems to make that kind of decision that you did?

I am guessing that would be like I ask you to custom build me a guitar. You build the guitar for me and that is the only guitar I play. I now tell you the way the guitar plays sucks. How am I supposed to make the judgement without playing other guitars?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:43 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
musicman wrote:
This is why most of you should be open to other technologies. Your PC, can run various OS'es either via a virtual machine or just rebuilding it to a different OS, or making a partition and throwing the OS on there. But none of those will run OSX correctly and as clean as a Mac. Now with my iMac I have 2 computers for your one. I can run OSX and also run Windows or Linux or any OS at the same time. I use parallels which runs right with the OSX interface. I can also use boot camp which would give me the partition to load either Windows 7 or 8. Running it in my virtual machine or via boot camp shows no speed slowdown. I have 32 gig of ram in my IMac so I have plenty to throw at VM's or use the whole 32 gig if I decide to use Boot Camp instead. I like Windows, my main certification trek (MCSE) is Windows, but you have to be open to new or existing technology. At work I use a mixture of Windows, Linux and a little OSX. Every OS has it's weak points and strong points, no one is better than the other. With the 3 Linux flavors I use I do not install a GUI, I use all command line. Most people would say that sucks (no gui), but it runs better and I can administrator it better that way.

Musicman, the average person doesn't need to be able to run 2, 3 or 4 operating systems at the same time. The average person doesn't need to do anything via command line. The average person just needs to be able to get online to do various stuff you can do online as well as manage photos, video, music or at most, run just a few applications at the same time.

So a PC and a MAC are both suited to do that, except the MAC cost mucho dollars compared to a Windows PC. I just got one for under $300. This discussion was about price comparison right?

Also, you seem to be contradicting yourself when you said MAC OS will not run on a PC very good. You said this regarding how versatile MAC's are:

musicman wrote:
You must just zone out when Apple news comes along. For years now MAC's have used Intel Processors. You can build what they call a hackintosh. A computer running MACOS using stock parts.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2227&start=12

Then you said this:

musicman wrote:
Your PC, can run various OS'es either via a virtual machine or just rebuilding it to a different OS, or making a partition and throwing the OS on there. But none of those will run OSX correctly and as clean as a Mac.

So you can build a PC using stock parts, and you can build a MAC using stock parts. Seems the only difference is the OS. I searched “mac os running on pc” and 40 million results, most at the top are tutorials on how to do it. I bet because people want to say they have a MAC but without the cost.

musicman wrote:
I am sure little known to the average consumer, I can also install Windows Server without a GUI. You boot up windows and you get a dos prompt that is it. Before you say something sucks and this is better than that you should use and be used to the technology. I use all favors of Windows from Windows 2000 Pro up to Windows 2012 server. I am certified and run OSX Lion and Mountain Lion and I run and administrator several flavors of Linux. I think I am qualified to make that decision.

See there, you are out of touch with the “Average Consumer”. The average consumer doesn't care to know, or need to know how to install Windows Server, let alone do it without a GUI. Of course it's little known to the average consumer. What do you see the average consumer doing? Chatting online, facebooking, gaming, emailing friends, all in the middle of running 3 operating systems, installing and updating server OS's and performing various stuff using command line? LOL

Unless you meant that literally, then I guess your probably right, the average consumer has no idea you know how to install Windows Server without a GUI.

The bottom line is that PC's get the job done and at a lower cost than MAC's. The average consumer doesn't care to learn how to get online using different operating systems.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:26 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
At first is was about price, then I get the usual response that basically says Mac's suck and PC's are better. Like I said in my last post, how can you say something sucks without trying it and forming your own opinion.

Looks like Stony drank the PC kool-aid and his following the PC status quo.

I like all flavors of Window(Windows 8 might be streatching the like part) , MAC, Linux and believe it or not Amiga OS. They all have strengths or weakness, one is not better than the other.

So why pay more for a MAC? Support. Never an issue at all. I get extended contracts on all my Apple products. I have an issue, I call and make an appointment at the Apple store and my issue gets resolved. No talking to some guy from another country who I do not understand. Item breaks they replace it (except water damage). Quality of the product. Face it the cases and displays are just made better. Plus they look darn good.

So that covered the hardware. Two things I really like is ICloud and Airplay. ICoud let's me sync all my Apple devices without thinking about it. I take a photo with my phone and within seconds it is also on my IMac, iPad and Apple TV. Same with docs, music, apps, movies, TV shows. Next up is Airplay, I use this all the time. Airplay let's me display what ever is on my IMac, Iphone or IPad onto my normal TV. I have used these in my job instead of spending a lot on a screen and projector we use the TV that is already there. Buy a $99 Apple TV and it just works.

Why do I like Mac's? The main reason is when I get home the last thing I want to do is be forced to fix a PC or tweak some setting because something is not working correct. With my IMac things just seem to work, no tweaking, no editing files, stuff just works. I am willing to pay more for not having these hassles.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:10 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
musicman wrote:
At first is was about price, then I get the usual response that basically says Mac's suck and PC's are better. Like I said in my last post, how can you say something sucks without trying it and forming your own opinion.

Looks like Stony drank the PC kool-aid and his following the PC status quo.

I like all flavors of Window(Windows 8 might be streatching the like part) , MAC, Linux and believe it or not Amiga OS. They all have strengths or weakness, one is not better than the other.

So why pay more for a MAC? Support. Never an issue at all. I get extended contracts on all my Apple products. I have an issue, I call and make an appointment at the Apple store and my issue gets resolved. No talking to some guy from another country who I do not understand. Item breaks they replace it (except water damage). Quality of the product. Face it the cases and displays are just made better. Plus they look darn good.

So that covered the hardware. Two things I really like is ICloud and Airplay. ICoud let's me sync all my Apple devices without thinking about it. I take a photo with my phone and within seconds it is also on my IMac, iPad and Apple TV. Same with docs, music, apps, movies, TV shows. Next up is Airplay, I use this all the time. Airplay let's me display what ever is on my IMac, Iphone or IPad onto my normal TV. I have used these in my job instead of spending a lot on a screen and projector we use the TV that is already there. Buy a $99 Apple TV and it just works.

Why do I like Mac's? The main reason is when I get home the last thing I want to do is be forced to fix a PC or tweak some setting because something is not working correct. With my IMac things just seem to work, no tweaking, no editing files, stuff just works. I am willing to pay more for not having these hassles.

Your talking out of two sides of your mouth. First you say that MAC's and PC are equally good “They all have strengths or weakness, one is not better than the other. “

Then go on to say why MAC's are better than PC's.

All this after telling us we shouldn't come to similar conclusions of one being better than the other. Aren't you just spewing the "usual response" that PC's suck and MAC's are better because, "stuff just works"?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:45 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
I did not say that one computer is better than the other, I said the Operating systems. I just listed a few reasons why I choose to pay more for an Apple product. It is impossible to talk about the guts of the PC compared to the Mac (excluding cases) because with a PC there any many configuration choices.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:49 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
To be truthful when someone asks me what computer they should by lately, I been telling them to buy IPads (latest gen). Like you said Neo, most people use the computer to get online, check email, Facebook, Bradford today and photos. All can be done no problem on the iPad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:24 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
musicman wrote:
I did not say that one computer is better than the other, I said the Operating systems. I just listed a few reasons why I choose to pay more for an Apple product. It is impossible to talk about the guts of the PC compared to the Mac (excluding cases) because with a PC there any many configuration choices.

This is what you said:

Quote:
the last thing I want to do is be forced to fix a PC or tweak some setting because something is not working correct. With my IMac things just seem to work, no tweaking, no editing files, stuff just works.

Sounds to me like your saying you do not want to be forced to fix a "PC" and that "IMac" works better because "stuff just works", obviously implying nothing works on a PC.

That is NOT saying a "IMac computer" is better than a "PC computer"? LOL

musicman wrote:
To be truthful when someone asks me what computer they should by lately, I been telling them to buy IPads (latest gen). Like you said Neo, most people use the computer to get online, check email, Facebook, Bradford today and photos. All can be done no problem on the iPad.

Getting back to price, if that is the case, why should anyone who's looking and asking about computers buy an iPad at $700 to $800 when they can get a bona fide computer that has more storage and memory for under $300?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:32 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
I do not mind fixing PC's when I am getting paid for it at all. I mind when I have to fix them when I am not. And since you are harping on price why not buy the Raspberry pi computer then, it only costs $45 and runs linux.

iPads for novice users who only want to get online to check FB, BT, email or general web surfing is good because there is no maintence with an IPad. No need to install an antivirus or malware program. No need to have to run a scandisk or defrag. Most of the cheap laptops or desktops you are talking about still have hard drives (ssd drives are not yet cheap enough) so you have a hard drive that will fail and a CPU or even a video card fan that will fail also. Just a matter of time. And most people do not backup. So all the images, documents, bookmarks will be lost unless they hire someone to get them back. What does IOS do automatically, oh that is right upload to ICloud and also do all you IOS devices.

Also if you want to talk price I still got my trusty Commodore 64 here that can get online. I will sell it to you for $25. You would save a lot more than buying your $200-$300 computer from walmart.