It is currently Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:25 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:21 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
Since a lot of us are pinching pennies on here and some people do not trust their cell phone all the time here ya go. Good article. The method I use costs me $1.67 a month, I have 911. This method you will not have 911 but free phone service. Enjoy

http://pcprob.blogspot.com/2011/03/howto-use-google-and-asterisk-for-free.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:29 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

City:
ZIP:
Thanks Musicman ........

And for the record, I'm not against technology at all. I have a background in electronics. And I've been involved with computers longer than you have, I'm sure.

But having said that, what does offend me are these "computer geeks" who fancy themselves "better than everybody else" because they can rush out and be the first on line to purchase the latest gadget. Even when the gadgets are somewhat foolish.

I'm sure you are very familiar with the type of geek of which I speak! LOL!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:48 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
I am sure I am the type of geek you are talking about. And for the record I was not the first in line. There was about 250 or so people ahead of me :D . I never said I was better than anyone else, I just like to talk tech and show people there are different ways to use technology to save a few bucks, or other ways to get the technology cheaper. I report on technology like you report on Sarah Palin and Fracking ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:27 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
I don't think anybody on here that has my number and calls realizes that I also use VOIP, do you? The sound quality is fine, it also costs me $1.67 a month, and I have 911.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:32 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

City:
ZIP:
I understand MM, and I wasn't calling YOU one of those geeks specifically.

But I'll bet each and every one of those geeks on line thought they were "one step better" than the geek on line behind them! LOL!

I can remember getting one of the very first "portable computers". It was a government version of the kpro ....... Just like the kpro but in olive green and perhaps with a heavier "shell".

Back then you either did math equations on a computer or your printed basic silhouettes in characters across the screen! Like maybe a dog, cat or a stick figure woman with big breasts.

I wrote my own program to calculate fret locations on a guitar fingerboard by just typing in the scale length of any scale and it would print out the fret spacing for all the fret locations.

Back then if you wanted a "program" you had to WRITE THE PROGRAM YOURSELF! And the computers back then were really dumb! You had to tell it EXACTLY what to do! They were glorified scientific calculators!

You were probably still wettin' the bed when I was programing computers! (No offense!)

But as "geeky" as I ever got .... I never called myself a geek. I just consider myself just another guy who can work on computers.

This way I can tease all the other geeks! LOL!

And I only do it if fun!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:34 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

City:
ZIP:
Here is the "Kpad"! LOL!

Attachment:
kpro.jpg
kpro.jpg [ 22.22 KiB | Viewed 4145 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:43 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
I love the old technology. In fact I cut my teeth on a Timex Sinclair 1000 and a Commodore 64 when I was younger. I had to type in machine code from magazines for my programs. It looked like this 001,000,011,110 and then a checksum at the end for you to check you typed it all in correctly. Compute and Compute Gazette. Used to read those cover to cover.

@Ryan Voip voice quality is actually better than landline now.

Stony and Ryan...Thanks for the discussions. Love to talk about tech :) . I think that is great you used to write your own code for working on guitars.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:19 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
Quote:
I report on technology like you report on Sarah Palin and Fracking

Musicman, you have never come anywhere NEAR reporting on technology like Stony has reported on Sarah Palin!