It is currently Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:53 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
Smart money is on growth of sales though and most figures do not back the ones given by musicman. Apple is losing market share by the fistfuls and sophisicated users are driving that. Apple remains a niche manufacturer with no ability to listen to what customers really want, no desire to react to problems and blind adherence to the mindset that Apple knows best.

Apple may outshine tablet rivals for years

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2011-04-12-apple-ipad.htm

I've got both an IPad2 and a Samsung Galaxy tablet. Both are very capable machines, depending on their intended usage. The Ipad I prefer for reading, surfing the web and basically fooling around. I find that it is limited in some aspects boy it's toyish layout, connectivity, inability to customize and battery life. The Samsung is much better for work applications, easier to set up, you can customize all you want if you know what you're doing and it is faster. I've been in and out of the software of both, have repaired both (the Apple really doesn't like small drops onto soft dirt) and have really tried to screw them both up to see what it takes to get them going again, software wise. Apple just doesn't make it easy to own their product.

Most of the time the Apple stays home next to the couch, the Samung gets to go have all the fun. I'll loan the Apple out but not my Samsung.

Just honest experience.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:59 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
Flashback, thank you for the intelligent response instead of other responses like Resident Taxpayer. I cannot say that the Galaxy tablet is better or not. I have not spent any amount of time with it at all. I did buy an HP tablet because they were so cheap ($100). I have deployed Ipads and Iphones in the enterprise and the tools that Apple has given the administrators to deploy and manage the Ipads and Iphones are great. I am not sure if Samsung provides tools that work with Active Directory.

For example say a user of mine loses his/her Ipad or Iphone, from my server I can remotely wipe the Ipad/Iphone of any information. I can also track the Ipad/Iphone via GPS. It works well with Exchange Server and has Cisco VPN software built in. To me it is user friendly. Any Android device that I have worked with the interface just does not seem to flow as well as IOS. But will I be getting my Iphone 4S :) Resident Taxpayer you bet I will be going baaa baaa baaa baaa, but in my head I will be going ha ha ha ha all the way to the bank when I get paid for setting these devices up for people, training them and also fixing them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:59 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
musicman wrote:
Statistics on the iPad:
-- 92% of Fortune 500 are testing or deploying iPad. This is in less than 18 months.
-- 95% customer satisfaction for the iPad.
-- 3 out of 4 tablets sold in the U.S are iPads.
-- iPad holds whopping 98% market share of tablets worldwide

So what your saying is that, Apple has 98% of market share on tablets with 3 out of 4 tablets sold to people who's never used a different tablet, because they don't care to try.

And they ONLY have 95% satisfaction?

I guess if the only pizza I've ever ate was Tony's frozen pizza, it would be "awesome", but alas I've had dominos, so Tony's sucks big time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:48 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
Neo wrote:
I guess if the only pizza I've ever ate was Tony's frozen pizza, it would be "awesome", but alas I've had dominos, so Tony's sucks big time.

Actually both would suck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:52 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
That's the biggest difference that gets to me musicman, that Apple provides the software. You can do all the same things you mentioned with an Android base device and choose which software to use to do it or write your own, customize it to your liking and hand it out for free or charge what you want without having to go through the app store.

One other thing I've noticed is that the Apple seems to drop wi-fi before my Samsung does. I'll grab the measuring tape and run some tests. I run my truck as a hotspot on construction sites and have to walk all the buildings or all floors. Maybe I'll do a vertical distance test too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:58 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
Flashback wrote:
That's the biggest difference that gets to me musicman, that Apple provides the software. You can do all the same things you mentioned with an Android base device and choose which software to use to do it or write your own, customize it to your liking and hand it out for free or charge what you want without having to go through the app store.

One other thing I've noticed is that the Apple seems to drop wi-fi before my Samsung does. I'll grab the measuring tape and run some tests. I run my truck as a hotspot on construction sites and have to walk all the buildings or all floors. Maybe I'll do a vertical distance test too.

I even have answers to the statement above.

1. Apple has in place the App store for the developers to make money if they so choose so. It costs the developer $100 a year to enroll to develop apps. This also gives you access to the Itunes and Ipad and IPhones IOS betas. You can choose to charge for your app or not. Now if you did not want to go the App store route, you can also release your app to the Apple jailbreak community. You can submit your app to Cydia and people who jailbreak their Apple device would be able to install your app. Jailbreak is now LEGAL in case someone did not know reading this. I currently have my Iphone jailbroken and my fave app is MYWI.

2. Apple drops the Wi-fi signal before your Samsung does is by design. I am guessing the Samsung drops the Wi-fi when it reaches 0% signal. Apple drops the signal before that. Reason is that say you are streaming video locally or through the internet, if your signal gets to low and it starts to skip frames or just quit, what does the usual user say? They say this is a piece of crap. Now if you jailbreak your Iphone or Ipad you can download a free tweak that takes that limit out of the wireless. Personally I do not need this. I have 1 Dual Band "N" router and 2 Dual band "N" repeaters in my house. I have 100% full signal any where on my property. With my Iphone I have an ATT 3G Signal booster that also gives me 100% 3G Signal anywhere on my property. I also have a 2rd Wireless network that has a 15 mile sight to sight range. This is how I keep in touch with my work while home.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:04 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
My apple products have always been jail broke. It was the only way to get them to do what I needed them to do. While it was determined that jail breaking was legal, Apple still makes every effort, including returning the device to the stock rom without permission of the owner of the device, to prevent people from taking advantage of a device that is owned.

"Apple provides the software" was meant to be interpreted as 'for 90% of owners Apple will control what is available for you to use on your device by deciding who gets to sell their app on the market of which Apple gets a cut.'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:46 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
Flashback wrote:
My apple products have always been jail broke. It was the only way to get them to do what I needed them to do. While it was determined that jail breaking was legal, Apple still makes every effort, including returning the device to the stock rom without permission of the owner of the device, to prevent people from taking advantage of a device that is owned.

"Apple provides the software" was meant to be interpreted as 'for 90% of owners Apple will control what is available for you to use on your device by deciding who gets to sell their app on the market of which Apple gets a cut.'

Google also gets a cut of the Android market. A one time $25 fee
and 30% commission on apps sold

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:55 am 
Novice
Novice

City:
ZIP:
A decade ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope, and Johnny Cash.

Now we have no Jobs, no Hope, and no Cash.

(a stolen phrase)

RIP.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:55 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
The tradition continues. I will be going to the Buffalo Apple store tomorrow to grab the new Iphone 4S on release date :) . BAAAA BAAA BAAA BAAA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:53 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
Three apples changed the world. Adam's apple, Newton's apple, and Steve's Apple.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:56 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
IOS5 release seems to be a bust. Beware before updating. I've unbricked 2 4s today.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next