It is currently Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:26 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 810 Next
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:18 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
Android passes RIM in U.S. as leading mobile OS

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20061111-251.html

Coming in third, Apple.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:01 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
Yes..A phone OS. The topic was about Ipads not Iphones. Big Difference there. Let me explain why sometimes closed source is better than open source in some cases. I will use Cisco Voip as an example. In the VOIP world the open source protocol is called SIP. Cisco uses something called SCCP(you can also use SIP with Cisco VOIP). Now why does Cisco do this instead of going with the open source solution? The reason is that with a closed source solution you can roll out new features and updates a lot quicker than an open source solution. The features in the SCCP protocol are usually way ahead of what is in the SIP protocol at the time. Which then I can roll out to my end users quicker and they are happier as I can provide them more features for the phone

Now back to the Andriod vs Apple thing. Have you ever tried to update or even see what works with a phone or tablet for Andriod? What a nightmare. Usually the device for Andriod only is able to last for one version of the OS. Apple OS's usually last for a few versions of the OS before the device becomes outdated. Also there are different flavors of Andriod that the phone companies have made that work with just their products so you are at the mercy of these phone companies who do not know software as well as Apple to release updates. Usually they do not.

Not saying one is better than another. One is just easier than another. I work on these computers all day fixing them. Software and hardware issues. When I am done for the day one of the last things I usually want to do is fix my own. This is why I have chose Apple. Things just work. I do not have to edit things and run patches to make programs work, things just work. That is why I like Apple so much. If there are updates to the apps all you have to do is click 2 buttons to install the update. That easy.

Also if you ever had an Iphone, Ipad or even an Ipod touch and are used to that interface, then go to an Andriod device, the way the OS flows, the feel of it is just not as nice as an IOS OS.

What sparked most of this off was Stony's comment that Apple was doomed for failure. All that we have posted was facts that Apple is far from failure and that unless something very very very very drastic happens at Apple, they are far from failure. If Stony thinks that is a failure then most of the modern world (that means you) are a failure according to Stony's statement.

I am all for Open Source software as I use a lot of Open Source here at work, but sometimes the commercial version of the same type of software is easier to install, manage and is a better fit for end users. Remember you get what you paid for.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:13 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
To get the facts straight, Musicman, it was Flashback, and not Stony, that said Apple was doomed to failure. It's just that Stony hates anything that HE doesn't use or have access to.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:08 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

City:
ZIP:
Guitar wrote:
To get the facts straight, Musicman, it was Flashback, and not Stony, that said Apple was doomed to failure.

Correct.

Guitar wrote:
It's just that Stony hates anything that HE doesn't use or have access to.

Incorrect.

I just find it very disparaging that people rush out to buy anything with an "i" in the name ..... especially since most of the "iCrap" items are gadgets I believe most of us can, or should live without!

Seriously! An "iPad" is something a menstruating woman should be buying!

I do acknowledge that Apple sells a lot of that crap .... but rather than demonstrate how "smart" we are as a nation, it actually shows how stupid we are! In my humble opinion!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:37 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
Quote:
just find it very disparaging that people rush out to buy anything with an "i" in the name ..... especially since most of the "iCrap" items are gadgets I believe most of us can, or should live without!

Seriously! An "iPad" is something a menstruating woman should be buying!

I do acknowledge that Apple sells a lot of that crap .... but rather than demonstrate how "smart" we are as a nation, it actually shows how stupid we are! In my humble opinion!

Just so that I understand, this means that you feel the same way about Android, Blackberrys, Asus and Dell equipment of the same type as Apple?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:16 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
I don't believe apple is doomed to failure and don't feel like looking back to see if I did. There are just too many people out there that buy names instead of products for apple to fail.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:01 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

City:
ZIP:
Ok, just to show everybody just how FOS these "iPad2" users are ....

I found this link that was on a website that said: The Logitech Keyboard Case By ZAGG for iPad 2 is the #1 selling iPad 2 accessory

And here it is! Look what it does for the iPad2 !

http://www.zagg.com/accessories/logitec ... board-case

It turns the awkward, or useless, iPad2 BACK into a laptop computer!

The NUMBER ONE accessory for the iPad2!

I rest my case! (pun intended)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:22 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
Quote:
I rest my case!

By the way
Quote:
...... I rest my case!
You did this twice.

In resting your case (Yeah, sure!!) you DID neglect to mention that these tablet keyboards are made for PC tablets also, and are very popular for them.

Just so that I understand, this means that you feel the same way about Android, Blackberrys, Asus and Dell equipment of the same type as Apple?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:53 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

City:
ZIP:
Yes I do! All those "gadgets" are equally foolish!

Why else would the number one accessory for them turn them back into functioning lap tops? They prop the sh!tty screen into a usable position, and then adds a functioning keyboard! How foolish!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:05 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
I can pretty much agree with you. But, that said, I AM thinking of getting an iPad3 when they come out to carry in my truck as a strictly business computer.

I also have a friend here who is a musician who carries his iPad with him to gigs and mounts it on his mike stand for use as a song list source and to remember lyrics and music. (I have NOT progressed to the point of forgetting lyrics yet, but it's BOUND to come! LOL!!!) This is tough to do with a laptop as most are pretty heavy and unwieldy for this. He has a program which automatically scrolls the page (at his chosen speed) or changes pages after a specific time delay for his classical pieces. Some of which are a dozen pages long. He also carries it in order to jot down song ideas as they occur. He uses no external keyboard, but he DOES occasionally use a stylus.

(He is, by the way, the man who built the first single chip computer and invented the high speed cable modem!)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:12 am 
4 Stars
4 Stars

City:
ZIP:
A paper writing pad and a pencil would handle all those tasks!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:22 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
Quote:
A paper writing pad and a pencil would handle all those tasks!

More or less, that's the system I use now. Then, I have to transfer it to the computer and drag around pages of song lists, lyrics and music. Not really efficient! My song list is 100 songs. I CAN fit the list on one sheet, that I clip to my mike stand. If my memory starts to fail me, 100 pages would be a real pain.

and, I was wondering how 12 pages of music would turn themselves? Oh, yes, with YOUR reasoning, playing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" would cover that!

I go back to my original premise: If YOU don't have a use for it, don't have it, can't afford it, or don't understand it, NOBODY needs it or should have it.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 810 Next