It is currently Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:41 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:35 pm 
4 Stars
4 Stars

City:
ZIP:
An updated study has found that when it comes to blocking Web sites used in efforts to trick people into installing malware, Internet Explorer has widened its lead over the four other most-used browsers.

NSS Labs, a product analysis company, issued a third installment of an ongoing study of how well browsers avert socially engineered attacks that try to exploit a person's trust with a Web address that actually installs and runs malware. The upshot: "Windows Internet Explorer 8 provided the best protection against socially engineered malware," stopping 85 percent of the attacks at 562 sites.

In contrast, Mozilla Firefox 3.5.7 and Apple Safari 4.0.4 stopped 29 percent, Google Chrome 4.0.249.78 stopped 17 percent, and Opera 10.10 stopped less than 1 percent. All the browsers, except for Opera, showed better results now than on versions of the test conducted six months and a year ago.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:43 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
None of that matters to me. I have an Untangle firewall in front of my machines which blocks all the malware before I even get to the page, no matter what web browser I am using. I have not liked IE since version 7 came out. I am a Mozilla fan and will not change anytime soon. I only use IE when needed for some applications

In case you are wondering, Untangle http://www.untangle.com . It is Open source and free.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:33 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
First of all, I do not hate windows! I just prefer Mac.

I have had a Mac since 1981. Had to replace them twice. Once to a utility company voltage surge, and once to a lightning strike (lost a TV, microwave, a telephone and a clock radio at the same time.) Never had a virus. Never had a malware problem.

Can YOU say that, Stony?

It's all in what you prefer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:20 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
musicman wrote:
I only use IE when needed for some applications

It's that statement there, why I only use IE. I like IE... because it just WORKS... period!

I've said this before and I say it to all my customers... "Low market-share = web safety"

It's pretty simple, macs get security threats proportioned to their market-share. Same goes for alternate browsers... IE is targeted the most due to marketshare, Firefox's threat level did go UP when it's users did. It's simple math, and it doesn't mean a superior piece of software. If I want to write a piece of code to exploit consumers... do I target ~ 93% of users... or the rest? :roll:

I could surf all day long on (for example) an Iphone, nintendo DS, or sony PSP (all of which don't have AV software) and NOT get a virus... and anyone who thinks those browsers are "superior" need beaten over the head with a keyboard!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:01 am 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
Make sure you use the old IBM AT Style keyboards when you do hit these people over the head, they are a lot heavier than then PS/2 or USB ones

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:27 pm 
BT Regular
BT Regular

City:
ZIP:
musicman wrote:
Make sure you use the old IBM AT Style keyboards when you do hit these people over the head, they are a lot heavier than then PS/2 or USB ones

Funny you said that, I had a customer... years ago, come in looking to buy a keyboard... her brat teen-aged son snapped his keyboard over his knee after loosing an FPS battle. I went in the back room and GAVE her an old PS/2 Keyboard, but was built just like the old AT keyboards... ya know, the kind that don't even have a windows key :D and is real heavy.

I told her that his knee will break before that keyboard will.